[Limdep Nlogit List] panel data model

Philip A. Viton viton.1 at osu.edu
Sat Aug 16 03:02:11 EST 2008

I'm trying to estimate a panel-data version of the binary logit model
for a sample of votes of judges on the courts of appeals. In this
case, my groups are the 12 circuits; within each circuit I have a
large number ( > 2000) of individual votes. But when I try to
estimate the model I get error 548, referring to an abnormally large
group-size variable (which I suppose it is).

Have I run up against a  built-in limitation of limdep (v 8), or have
I set things up wrong? (Of course, I can estimate the fixed-effects
model by hand, by setting up dummy vars for the circuits, and not
worrying about the panel specification).

Thanks!

Philip A. Viton
City Planning, Ohio State University
275 West Woodruff Avenue, Columbus OH 43210
viton.1 at osu.edu