[Limdep Nlogit List] MNL: Quantities greater than one

Fred Feinberg feinf at umich.edu
Fri Jan 12 00:37:06 EST 2007

Prof. Greene is correct.  The MNL model is based on random utility theory,
and specifies the probability of a particular *single* item offering the
greatest (latent) utility value.  It presumes homoscedastic (double
exponential) errors, which is not always a desirable/realistic assumption.
It is NOT the correct model for more than one outcome.

The marketing literature has dealt with this issue extensively.  See the
classic papers by Chiang
(http://www.jstor.org/view/07322399/ap010040/01a00020/0) and Gupta
(http://www.jstor.org/view/00222437/sp040100/04x1951a/0).  Google scholar
can point you to the subsequent literature.  There is also some work by
Bockenholt in the psychometric tradition on modeling multiple outcomes.

Fred

=====

Prof. Fred Feinberg
Ross School of Business