[Limdep Nlogit List] Q: Weighting Discrete Choice Data

Matt Weber maweber at hwr.arizona.edu
Thu Nov 2 02:48:46 EST 2006

Dear LimDep Users,

This is a re-post as I am still hoping for advice on one issue.
I have discrete choice survey data I am analyzing with NLOGIT techniques.
In an effort to correct for non-response bias I am
trying to weight the data from certain zipcodes above that
received from other zipcodes.  I am attempting to use the "WTS"
command with a weighting variable I have defined to achieve this.

Has anybody any experience with weighting discrete choice data
for a regression?  My approach using WTS is giving odd results,
all the regressors are going from highly significant to highly insignif.
I have tried using a unit weighting variable, i.e. a constant,
and this yields odd results too, whereas I would have
expected results identical to the unweighted regression.  I have
read the LimDep manual on this and still am unclear whether the
WTS command is applicable for discrete choice.

A Sincere Thanks for any thoughts on this,

Matthew Weber
University of Arizona