[Limdep Nlogit List] correcting standard errors for clustered survey data

Peter Glick pjg4 at cornell.edu
Fri Jun 23 05:00:59 EST 2006

Bill,

Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately, while the cluster command seems to work fine for simpler
models (provided the data are first sorted by cluster) it does not for
nlogit.  I am using the setup where the data are arranged one line per
alternative and the utility fns are written in the model
statement.  Essentially, nlogit does not carry out the cluster command,
though it clearly reads it since putting in an incorrect cluster name leads
to an error message.

Is there anything I can do? Has the option been extended to nlogit in an
updated version? We have nlogit v8.

An another note, your skepticism about the cluster estimator has me curious
as I have not heard this except in regards to problems when there is
a  small number of clusters (discussed by e.g., Wooldridge and
Bertrand,Duflo, and Mullainathan).  Is there a critical paper on this by
you or others?

Thanks again for your help..

Peter