[GPlates-discuss] Help extracting plate size and trench age from GPlates model

Simon Williams simon.williams at sydney.edu.au
Tue Mar 3 23:02:08 AEDT 2020

Hi Lior,

If you are happy to go down the python-coding route, there are some python notebooks that go through how to extract the properties you want (using the pygplates module):

For plate areas:
https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/DeStCq7BKYt88EKJ1uZsMb7?domain=github.com

For age at trench
https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/NuTGCr8DLRt88kP4ruzayoz?domain=github.com

You should be aware that:

- for the age at trench, you’ll need to have seafloor age grids that is consistent with whatever reconstruction you use.

- more generally, the Muller et al 2019 reconstruction is fairly unique in being a ‘deforming’ plate model, and pygplates does not (currently) properly support reconstructions with deforming regions. Many of the examples you’ll find online (including those linked above) will work with most other reconstructions that don’t include deforming regions (e.g. the reconstruction in the GPlates sample data), but not Muller et al 2019. If you are flexible with which global reconstruction to use, it would make things more straightforward to go with a ‘rigid’ topological model. If the use of Muller et al 2019 is non-negotiable, you’ll need to ignore the links above and find a different way that follows the same steps but without using pygplates, instead working on files that contain polygons and trench locations exported from the GPlates GUI.

Regards,
Simon