[GPlates-discuss] Linking two or more rotation files

John Cannon john.cannon at sydney.edu.au
Fri Jun 9 19:51:30 AEST 2017

> tool or option in GPlates to "prioritize" rotation (files/input) based on some notion

If it's useful there could be a dialog in the rotation layer enabling users to sort/prioritise rotation *files*. This would prioritise conflicting rotations (eg, two rotations for the 926/901 plate pair) where the first rotation is in one file and the second in another file - then only the rotation in the highest priority file would get used (the other rotation would be discarded).

This would not resolve a conflict *within* a single file though (eg, if both 926/901 rotations were in the same file) but this scenario is probably much less common.

> Could you clarify what happens when rotation feature layers are merged that contain duplicate rotations pairs and what happens when there's a duplicate plate pair but different stage rotations?

Only the first rotation encountered is used - the second, third, etc, are simply rejected. This applies regardless of whether the stage rotations are different or not.

Currently the order in which rotations are applied is essentially undefined. However, as mentioned above, we could define an order *across* files (but not *within* files).

Regards,
John