[GPlates-discuss] Linking two or more rotation files

Christian.Heine at shell.com Christian.Heine at shell.com
Fri Jun 9 17:30:16 AEST 2017

John, Sabin

thanks for the response & clarification.

> The intent is that there is no priority applied when multiple rotations
> with the same moving/fixed plate pair are found (at a particular
> reconstruction time). This is because GPlates relies on the user to ensure
> their rotation data contains no conflicts.

Never overestimate your users ;-) ;-)

Jokes aside, I think it would be a useful feature, maybe not by default but rather as tool or option in GPlates to "prioritize" rotation (files/input) based on some notion. One argument would be that there's the possibility to use more than a single rotation file and some users might have the need to branch off some dangling nodes of rotation trees and replace existing rotations in a global file with custom ones.

> Having said that, you might notice an ordering (or priority), such as the
> first of two rotation files having precedence (or the first of two
> moving/fixed pairs within a single rotation file), but it is not
> intentional and therefore cannot be relied upon to remain this way in
> future versions of the software.

Ok, that's what I saw in some tests here. I haven't tried more than two stage rotations for a single plate pair.

Could you clarify what happens when rotation feature layers are merged that contain duplicate rotations pairs and what happens when there's a duplicate plate pair but different stage rotations?

Cheers,
Christian