[GPlates-discuss] Shapefile issues - high node density

Lester Anderson arctica1963 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 20 16:10:24 AEST 2017

Hi Sabin,

I did some further investigations after posting, and just isolated
some of the polygons that had an excessive number of nodes on edges,
connected a raster and it was fine with the reconstruction.I did the
test on a series of polygons including very small slivers and larger
elements, so size was not the problem.

I was using GPLates 1.5, on Windows 7 64-bit.

The original shapefile has in excess of 5000 polygons,but this is not
an issue and the reconstruction etc works as expected. The issue
arises when trying to connect a raster (eg gravity data) to the
polygon file. Can you think, off the topof your head, what scenario
could cause the application to crash connecting a shapefile feature?

What I need to do next is get version 2.0 installed and see how that behaves.

Cheers
Lester