[GPlates-discuss] plotting plate convergence / divergence

Christian.Heine at shell.com Christian.Heine at shell.com
Sat Oct 1 00:00:21 AEST 2016

Christoph,

I guess one way I'd go about this would be to use GPlates's velocity colatitudes/colongitudes - see attached colongitude output from the kinematics tool for a scenario between India and a fixed Madagascar. So the recipe would be to fix one plate and simply extract the colat/colong velocities of the one you're interested in to derive a net convergence/divergence.

This would pretty much follow Cox & Hart's "Plate tectonics: how it works" and use simple vector calc (or Fowler's "Solid Earth p13ff). There've been a few papers where this has been looked at - have a look at Maloney et al looking at the dynamics of subduction along the Sth American margin (http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/tect.20067/full).

Graphically visualising this in GPlates would be a bit more tricky I suppose, but would have to think about this.

Hope this helps,
Christian

--
  Christian Heine, Ph.D.
  Upstream - Opportunity Identification (UPX/N/OH)

  SIP +31 70 3774 341
  W: http://www.shell.com
  G: http://goo.gl/7GfvPZ