[GPlates-discuss] letter

Nicolas Flament nicolas.flament at sydney.edu.au
Sun Mar 20 15:37:32 AEDT 2016

Dear Shaofeng,

1/ It is difficult to model total topography in the vicinity of subduction zones using the workflow that assimilates reconstructions build with GPlates in CitcomS, as tracers get piled up and entrained to depth if they are considered in the vicinity of the subduction zone, or one obtains a trough if tracers are excluded within a given distance of subduction zones (see Figs 5 and 6 of Flament et al. 2014, EPSL). From what you describe I think you might be in the latter case so I recommend changing the initial tracer set up.
2/ I would build topologies so that the subduction zone jumps from one side of the block to the other. Modelling the total topography of small blocks near subduction zones in global models sounds challenging - good luck!

Regards

Nicolas