[GPlates-discuss] letter

shaofeng at cugb.edu.cn shaofeng at cugb.edu.cn
Fri Mar 18 18:02:11 AEDT 2016

Dear Gplates experts,
When we did our plate reconstruction of East China using Gplates, we found two questions, and hopefully you could give us some suggestions.
1. As we input the kinematic data of gplates reconstruction into Citcoms software to do the modeling of oceanic plate subduction and continental-continental collision, we found that an ocean trough (topography trough and oceanic litheresphere) keep all the time even we let the oceanic slab break away from the continental lithosphere after continental collision. Is this Citcoms software problem? or the Gplates? How to solve this problem?
2. There are some small continent block accretional events along the oceanic slab subduction zone, The blocks above the oceanic slab collid with continent with the oceanic lithosphere subduction. Our question is: when we do this plate reconstruction, do we need to make the  subduction zone (the Line feature) jump in 1 Mys from the one side of the block to the other side, and then use another line feature (subduction zone) when the some block accretion, or just use the same subduction line feature which migrate from one side of the accretioned block to the another side for a few Mys?
Hope to get your suggestions. Thank you so much!

With best wishes
Shaofeng Liu

shaofeng at cugb.edu.cn