[Geodynamics] EGU2022 - Mantle convection and its surface expressions session

Berta Vilacís bvilacis at geophysik.uni-muenchen.de
Mon Dec 13 19:54:16 AEDT 2021

Dear colleagues,

this year EGU2022 is happening the week of 4.-10. April 2022.

We would like to draw your attention to our session
*GD1.3**:**Geodynamic drivers of rifting and continental breakup:
Understanding the lithospheric response to the synergetic action of
plate and plume modes*
(https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/OBiCC4QOPEiBnJ9M8fOIJ4z?domain=meetingorganizer.copernicus.org) _with
invited speaker __Maria Tsekhmistrenko_. It broadly aims to look in the
interaction of mantle convection and its surface expressions, with a
strong focus on the influence of plume upwellings (more details below).

Hopefully, this time, we can meet you personally in Vienna.

Please note that the *deadline for abstract submission* is *Wednesday
12. January 2022**, 13:00 CET.**
****
***We look forward to meeting.
Best regards,

Berta Vilacís,
<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/UmR2C5QPXJiZz0p5lUOd228?domain=meetingorganizer.copernicus.org>Ingo
Stotz
<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/UmR2C5QPXJiZz0p5lUOd228?domain=meetingorganizer.copernicus.org>,Jorge
N.
Hayek<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/UmR2C5QPXJiZz0p5lUOd228?domain=meetingorganizer.copernicus.org>,
Sascha
Brune<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/UmR2C5QPXJiZz0p5lUOd228?domain=meetingorganizer.copernicus.org>
and D. Sarah
Stamps<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/UmR2C5QPXJiZz0p5lUOd228?domain=meetingorganizer.copernicus.org>

Session call for our session EGU2022:
https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/OBiCC4QOPEiBnJ9M8fOIJ4z?domain=meetingorganizer.copernicus.org

    *GD1.3**:*Geodynamic drivers of rifting and continental breakup:
    Understanding the lithospheric response to the synergetic action of
    plate and plume modes.

    *Abstract:*

    It is well known that mantle convection can be explored explicitly
    in terms of the plate and plume mode. The former is associated with
    the cold upper thermal boundary layer, which is the lithosphere, and
    the latter with the hot lower thermal boundary layer, which sources
    plumes. Convective buoyancies associated with these modes are
    significant, capable of driving plate motions. However, they need to
    be contrasted with plate boundary forces. Oblique rifting and the
    influence of magma highlight some of the difficulties in
    understanding these forces. Continental rifts provide an ideal
    setting to study the interactions of the plume mode and evolving
    plate boundary forces as the rifting process advances. Numerous
    observations of continental breakup since the Cretaceous are well
    documented in the geological archives. They include mapping
    continental dynamic topography, studying plate kinematic changes,
    using thermochronological models and petrological observables, and
    imaging deep structure by seismic tomography to constrain the
    breakup history. These observations allow one to track the
    expressions of past mantle flow and further understand the dynamics
    of continental breakup as the interplay of convective and plate
    boundary forces.

    This session aims to provide a holistic view of the causes of
    continental breakup. We welcome contributions from seismic
    tomography, anisotropy studies, geochemistry, plate kinematics,
    structural geology, and numerical models that address questions
    surrounding mantle-lithosphere interactions. Studies using a
    multidisciplinary approach are particularly encouraged.