[Geodynamics] EGU22 - GD 7.2 Evolution of cratonic lithosphere

Peter Haas peter.haas at ifg.uni-kiel.de
Mon Dec 6 22:06:26 AEDT 2021

Dear Geodynamics community,

we would like to draw your attention to a new session focussing on the
evolution of cratonic lithosphere that will be hosted at next year's EGU,

GD 7.2 - Evolution of cratonic lithosphere: Variability, geodynamic
interactions and resource potential

Inputs of multiple disciplines are essential to address this fascinating
and multifaceted topic. This session welcomes therefore contributions
from a wide range of disciplines, which include, but are not limited to,
seismology, gravity and magnetic studies, geodynamics, tectonics,
geochemistry, and petrology.

Would you be interested in submitting an abstract, we invite you to read
the session description below for more details.

We are happy to have Graham Pearson and Heather Bedle as keynote
speakers in our session.

Looking forward to seeing many of you at EGU,

Peter Haas, Nicolas Celli and Andrea Tommasi (Conveners)

Session description:

Cratons form the ancient, stable cores of most of the Earth’s
continents. Knowledge about the present-day architecture of cratons is
the key to understand the evolution of continental plates. In addition
to that, cratons concentrate many economically relevant mineral
deposits, which are indispensable for a modern society. For many
cratonic regions however, little is still known about the present-day
lithospheric structure and how it evolved since the Archean, mainly due
to their remoteness and harsh local environmental conditions. Ongoing
data acquisition, as well as the usage and optimization of remote and
passive techniques have shed new light on the lithospheric architecture
of cratonic regions. Recent advancements across several disciplines show
that cratons are more varied and fragmented than previously assumed,
which has strong implications for geodynamic interactions with the
convective mantle and long-term stability.
In this session, we welcome contributions across different scales that
describe the cratonic lithosphere and its evolution with time, up to the
dawn of plate tectonics. We aim to address topics like: characterization
and evolution of cratonic crust and lithosphere; coupling between
cratonic crust and mantle; mechanisms to form, maintain and destroy
cratonic roots; craton-plume interaction; the role of cratons in
supercontinent configurations; connection of cratons to mineral deposits.
We would like to raise discussions within a multidisciplinary session
and therefore welcome contributions across a wide range of disciplines,
including, but not limited to geodynamics, geology, tectonics,
seismology, gravity, geochemistry, petrology, as well as joint approaches.

--
Peter Haas
PhD-Student