[Geodynamics] AGU SEDI sesion Deciphering multi-scale mantle evolution with computational methods

O'Farrell, Keely A. k.ofarrell at uky.edu
Tue Jul 28 14:18:05 AEST 2020

Dear Colleagues,

We hope everyone is well. Please consider submitting an abstract to our AGU SEDI session #105168: DI005 - Deciphering multi-scale mantle evolution with computational methods.
The AGU Fall 2020 meeting will be mostly virtual and our session includes a live virtual panel discussion with 6 invited authors in addition to solicited abstracts. Abstracts can be submitted at this link<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/wcBQCL7EwMfAp9Q3iBgY_k?domain=agu.confex.com>.

As a reminder, the AGU abstract deadline is this Wednesday July 29th at 23:59 EDT.

Link to our session is here: https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/z5duCMwGxOtg03zJfk2Rsw?domain=agu.confex.com

Session Details:
Deciphering multi-scale mantle evolution with computational methods

Session Description:
The dynamics and evolution of Earth's mantle are governed by structures and processes interacting on a wide range of scales: long- wavelength mantle convection and large thermochemical structures are intimately linked with small-scale processes in the boundary layers, and understanding the effective properties of mantle rocks require insights on the mineral scale. These processes are not only multi-scale spatially but also act over strongly different timescales. Understanding the Earth's mantle across these scales is a problem typically outside the range of analytical solutions. The application of numerical methods to capture vastly different scales and the development of clever parameterisations to tackle this multi-scale problem are necessary.

This session will explore the link between Earth's mantle processes operating on different spatial and/or temporal scales. We invite contributions from various disciplines including geodynamics, seismology, mineral physics, and that highlight computational advances in tackling dynamical problems that span scales in time and space.

Apologies for cross posting.

We look forward to your abstracts.

Thanks,
Keely