[Geodynamics] AGU 2018 session - Dynamic Connectors: How Boundary Layers Shape the Evolution of the Earth's Deep Interior

O'Farrell, Keely k.ofarrell at uky.edu
Wed Jul 18 14:06:27 AEST 2018

Dear colleagues,

We invite you to submit an abstract to our session “Dynamic Connectors: How Boundary Layers Shape the Evolution of the Earth’s Deep Interior" (DI009) for the upcoming AGU Fall meeting in Washington D.C., taking place from December 10-14, 2018.

We welcome theoretical, experimental, and observational contributions from geodynamics, seismology, geomagnetism, mineral physics, petrology, and other disciplines.

Confirmed invited speaker:
Andy Biggin, University of Liverpool

The abstract submission deadline is 1 August, 11:59 p.m. ET.

Session description can be found below.

Cheers,
Keely O’Farrell, Tobias Rolf and Mingming Li

Session Title:
Dynamic Connectors: How Boundary Layers Shape the Evolution of the Earth's Deep Interior
Session Description:
Mantle dynamics at different scales are influenced by boundary layer processes. The upper boundary affects subduction processes and driving of plate tectonics. The bottom boundary controls plume generation and is dynamically linked to deep thermochemical features, such as LLSVPs and ULVZs. Plumes rising from the bottom boundary layer sample the whole mantle and place their signature on Earth's surface, providing insight into mixing of chemical heterogeneities and the state of the deep mantle. The two boundary layers connect Earth's surface, core and mantle interior and govern their interaction. Understanding the dynamics in the boundary layers will help to link shallow and deep mantle processes.This session will explore the dynamics of boundary layers, including generation of subduction zones, plate tectonics, mantle plumes, and heat transfer, and the resultant surface observations that provide useful constraints. We welcome theoretical, experimental, and observational contributions from geodynamics, seismology, geomagnetism, mineral physics, petrology, and other disciplines.

Dr. Keely O’Farrell
Assistant Professor
Dept. of Earth & Environmental Sciences
108B Slone Research Building