[ASA] Associate Professor / Professor in Statistics or Statistical Data Science at Macquarie University - closing June 16th

Richard McDermid richard.mcdermid at mq.edu.au
Wed May 15 15:14:28 AEST 2024

Dear Colleagues,

Apologies if you receive this email more than once.

I would like to bring to your attention the following advertisement for a continuing Associate Professor or Professor in Statistics or Statistical Data Science at Macquarie University. The full advertisement can be found here<https://url.au.m.mimecastprotect.com/s/s43jCE8wmrt107Q5KSN_yco?domain=mq.wd3.myworkdayjobs.com>. Applications close on June 16th.

Please feel free to circulate this email within your networks.

I am happy to receive informal enquiries about the position (richard.mcdermid at mq.edu.au).

Kind regards,
Richard

---
About the role
The School of Mathematical and Physical Sciences at Macquarie University in Sydney, Australia, is investing significantly in expanding its research capacity in statistics and statistical data science, including in the field of Astrostatistics and Statistical Machine Learning. We are seeking an outstanding candidate for a continuing position as Associate Professor (Level D) or Professor (Level E). The successful candidate will provide leadership and mentorship within the School for the ongoing development of statistics and statistical data science. Leveraging their standing in the field, they will provide a focal point for the future development of statistics at Macquarie University, and establish strong collaborative links within the School’s member disciplines, which includes astronomy.

About us
Members of our School are heavily involved in the Macquarie University Astrophysics and Space Technologies<https://url.au.m.mimecastprotect.com/s/333TCGv0oyCWO7V5of7gtys?domain=mq.edu.au> Research Centre, driving advancements in astrophysics and space science through cutting-edge instrumentation development and complex data-intensive research capabilities. This opens novel opportunities for statistical data scientists to develop data science solutions that contribute to answering big questions about our Universe.

The School hosts the Statistical Modelling for Complex Data research group, comprising of 15 active members who exploit and develop cutting-edge statistical and computational methods to tackle a variety of real-world problems from small, designed studies to large-scale high-dimensional data challenges. Our research combines applied statistics and statistical theory to offer novel statistics methodology and computational technology for evidence-based science discovery. This position is part of our strategic growth in Statistical Data Science.

The DataX Research Centre<https://url.au.m.mimecastprotect.com/s/yCgmCJyBrGfpAJ7EPczFtWJ?domain=mq.edu.au> is a university-wide partnership for new data science discovery in science, health and society. DataX aims to transform approaches to research in these fields through the development and application of new advanced data analytics and machine learning methods. This creates an outstanding environment to establish new interdisciplinary research collaborations with exceptional groups of academics from many application areas of statistics.

Macquarie University<https://url.au.m.mimecastprotect.com/s/HJBcCK1DvKT8Moj50SAnmF7?domain=students.mq.edu.au> is committed to fostering an inclusive and diverse workplace where every individual is valued, respected, and supported. Our School<https://url.au.m.mimecastprotect.com/s/n0RUCL7EwMfNwWJn5tjsZH_?domain=mq.edu.au> actively promotes diversity and inclusivity through a range of initiatives and support mechanisms overseen by the Equity and Diversity Portfolio. These efforts underscore our dedication to creating an environment where everyone can thrive and contribute to their fullest potential.

For further information about the School of Mathematical and Physical Sciences visit our home page<https://url.au.m.mimecastprotect.com/s/-ad0CMwGxOtxkrQ4Gs13P6p?domain=mq.edu.au>.

To Apply
To be considered for this position, applicants must respond to the selection criteria and submit the requested documents below in the application process. Applications are accepted via the online recruitment system at https://url.au.m.mimecastprotect.com/s/Gje3CNLJyQUVPW2m1IzVh6-?domain=jobs.mq.edu.au

  *   A cover letter explaining your interest in and suitability for the position and providing a detailed response to all the essential selection criteria.
  *   A one page statement of your current and future research and funding vision plus a ½ page statement on your research alignment with research interests and capabilities at Macquarie University.
  *   A ½ page statement on teaching interests and approach to teaching.
  *   A curriculum vitae including a full list of publications and the names of two referees

For a complete list of selection criteria, please refer to the full job advert<https://url.au.m.mimecastprotect.com/s/s43jCE8wmrt107Q5KSN_yco?domain=mq.wd3.myworkdayjobs.com>.

Salary Package
Associate Professor (Level D) Up to $226k including ($175,731 to $193,296 p.a. commensurate with experience and 17% employer's superannuation; as of 1 July 2024) or Professor (Level E) Up to $264k including ($215,440 to $225,625 p.a. commensurate with experience and 17% employer's superannuation; as of 1 July 2024).

Enquiries
Enquiries about this position can be directed to Professor Samuel Muller, Head of School (samuel.muller at mq.edu.au).

----
Professor Richard McDermid (he/him)
Director, Astrophysics and Space Technologies Research Centre
Macquarie Node Leader, ARC Centre of Excellence in All Sky Astrophysics in 3 Dimensions (ASTRO 3D)
School of Mathematical and Physical Sciences,
Macquarie University,
Sydney, Australia
Tel: +61 (0)2 9850 4476

I acknowledge the traditional custodians of the Macquarie University Land, the Wallumattagal people of the Dharug nation, whose cultures and customs have nurtured, and continue to nurture, this land since the Dreamtime.

[CAL7909_ Ally_255x160px_Email.png]