[ASA] First Announcement: "Galaxy Transformation Across Space and Time" meeting, Canberra, 4-8 September 2023

Trevor Mendel trevor.mendel at anu.edu.au
Tue Mar 21 13:12:39 AEDT 2023

Dear colleagues,

We would like to draw your attention to this conference, and we would appreciate if you could forward this e-mail to potentially interested colleagues at your institute.

Galaxy Transformation Across Space and Time
--- The 3rd Australia-ESO meeting ---
4-8 September 2023
Australian Academy of Science, Canberra, Australia
https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/lkcxCoV1kpfDrZNA1h1LHt4?domain=mso.anu.edu.au<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/oDdTCp81lrt9nKrgJuDsx6q?domain=aus01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com>

Rational / Key Questions:
Galaxies transform throughout their lifetimes as a result of internal processes, interactions with other galaxies, their environments, and the cosmic web. The interplay of these processes alters the distribution of properties used to characterise the galaxy population. Understanding the impact and relative importance of that interplay is critical to galaxy evolution as whole. With new capabilities enabling highly-resolved investigations of gas and stars in local galaxies, it is now possible to disentangle detailed star-formation and assembly histories for a wide variety of galaxy types. Simultaneously, surveys pushing resolved observations to earlier epochs are providing important constraints on the evolution and transformation of dynamics and chemical distributions. Together these approaches have the power to discern complex assembly histories over the last 7-10 Gyrs, when simulations suggest that dramatic morphological and kinematic evolution is expected to occur. However, the exact timing and nature of these transformations are debated.

In this conference we aim to connect observations and simulations of galaxy transformations across cosmic time, with a particular focus on the following questions:

• How does environment shape the star-formation history of galaxies?
• How do we connect galaxy populations across epochs?
• What is the environmental impact on redistributing angular momentum?
• How do stellar and AGN feedback regulate the gas-star formation cycle at z~0?

Important dates:
Abstract submission opens:                                         22 March 2023
Abstract submission deadline:                                    1 May 2023
Program announcement, registration opens:          1 June 2023
Meeting:                                                                         4-8 September 2023

Abstract submission: https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/o10TCq71mwf18lAgxFQ5TaD?domain=forms.gle

SOC:
Trevor Mendel (co-chair)
Emily Wisnioski (co-chair)