[ASA] ASA - UQ Postdoc Advertisement - Exoplanets & Disks

John O'Byrne john.obyrne at sydney.edu.au
Tue Mar 14 00:28:13 AEDT 2023

https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/BRgfCoV1kpfDLop0DI1fGhb?domain=jobregister.aas.org<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/BRgfCoV1kpfDLop0DI1fGhb?domain=jobregister.aas.org>

Application Deadline: April 2, 2023

We are seeking a physicist or astronomer to join the Astrophysics group and undertake research at The University of Queensland (UQ) as part of the ARC Discovery Project: Planet Formation at Solar System Scales with the James Webb Space Telescope. The position is available for a period of three years.

This position is focused on direct imaging of exoplanets and protoplanetary disks. The main aim of the Discovery Project is to use data from the James Webb Space Telescope, and in particular the UQ team’s Guaranteed Time Observations with the NIRISS-AMI instrument, to image protoplanetary and debris disks at high resolution. The project also more broadly encompasses possibilities in disk simulations, optical design and data analysis, and ongoing observations with JWST and other instruments. The candidate will ideally have experience in interferometric or coronagraphic direct imaging science, Bayesian statistics and/or machine learning, and/or simulations of protoplanetary disks.

The candidate will have access to resources for travel and equipment under the ARC Discovery Project as well as existing expertise in cosmology and astrophysics at The University of Queensland. As part of the ARC Discovery Project, they would have active collaborations with members of the AMI GTO team based at the University of Sydney, the Space Telescope Science Institute in Baltimore, and the Universities of Victoria and Montréal in Canada. Our group also has active collaborations with the exoplanet group nearby at the University of Southern Queensland, as well as access to the ESO optical telescopes and Australian observing and computing facilities.

----------
All the best,

Ben

--------------

Dr Benjamin Pope

(he/him)

BSc (Hons), MSc (Syd), DPhil (Oxon)

ARC DECRA Fellow

School of Mathematics & Physics

The University of Queensland

Brisbane Qld 4072 Australia

T +61 7 7000 7000 M +61 000 000 000

E b.pope at uq.edu.au<mailto:brand at uq.edu.au> W benjaminpope.github.io<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/BthxCp81lrt9NlEB9iDlYya?domain=benjaminpope.github.io>

CRICOS 00025B • TEQSA PRV12080

The University of Queensland (UQ) acknowledges the Traditional Owners and their custodianship of the lands on which UQ operates. We pay our respects to their Ancestors and their descendants, who continue cultural and spiritual connections to Country. We recognise their valuable contributions to Australian and global society.

UQ ALLY Supporting and celebrating the diversity of sexuality, gender and sex at UQ.