[ASA] Call for KMT proposals

Paul Francis Paul.Francis at anu.edu.au
Tue Sep 13 10:04:59 AEST 2022

Call for Proposals: KMT Telescope at Siding Spring

The ANU gets time on the Korean Microlensing Telescope (KMT) in return for hosting it at Siding Spring. ANU is making this time available to any Australian proposers. A proposal is considered Australian if at least half the proposers are based at Australian institutions.

The telescope is a 1.6 wide-field imaging telescope, with a 4 square degree (18k x 18k) CCD imaging camera optimised for the I band. Quantum efficiency is over 90% in V and R and around 80% in I. Pixel scale is 0.4 arcsec, and it can reach 1% photometry down to 17.5 in (Cousins) I with 60 second exposures. Overheads are 90 seconds per exposure. Details at https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/4tpxC6XQ4Lfoq3yQkUp1NKz?domain=kmtnet.kasi.re.kr

ANU has been allocated 40 nights on KMT for the next year. We have been given specific dates:

  *   22-31st October 2015 (dark time)
  *   28th Nov-7th Dec (grey time)
  *   5-14th Jan (bright time)
  *   10-19 February (grey time)

You will need to supply an observing script (https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/ENCSC71R2NTmwPZ3MHWJjrO?domain=bitbucket.org ), but observations will be carried out by the dedicated observing staff, after which you will need to download the data. KASI will provide master flat field and bias images, and pre-processed data using MSCRED. Each raw file is ~716 MB. You may work with the on-site observers if you wish, but the telescope control system is not user friendly enough to allow operation by anyone except the dedicated observers.

If you are interested in applying for time, please send an application to the ANU TAC chair (paul.francis at anu.edu.au<mailto:paul.francis at anu.edu.au>) before 5pm Wednesday 5th October.

Your application should contain the following information:

  *   Names and institutions of all proposers.
  *   Specific nights requested, and minimum useful allocation.
  *   A one-page science case.

Prof. Paul Francis (he/him)
ANU Distinguished Educator, Astrophysicist
Research School of Astronomy and Astrophysics and
Physics Education Centre, Research School of Physics
ANU College of Science
Mt Stromlo Observatory and Building 160
The Australian National University
Canberra ACT 2600

T +61 6125 2824 or +61 6125 8031
Zoom Personal Meeting ID: 645-796-9990
paul.francis at anu.edu.au<mailto:paul.francis at anu.edu.au>
https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/hfJMC81V0PTjEJYn3u2U_6W?domain=mso.anu.edu.au

CRICOS Provider #00120C | ABN: 52 234 063 906

The Australian National University acknowledges, celebrates, and pays our respects to the Ngunnawal and Ngambri people of the Canberra region and to all First Nations Australians on whose traditional lands we meet and work, and whose cultures are among the oldest continuing cultures in human history.