[ASA] ASA IDEA Community Fund

John Lattanzio john.lattanzio at monash.edu
Wed Apr 13 09:30:53 AEST 2022

Dear ASA Members,

The ongoing war in Ukraine and other conflicts elsewhere across the world
has brought to our attention the clear need to support members in our
community. One way we can do this is through financial support, as the ASA
has been doing with the ASA Covid Fund. We would now like to create a new,
broader fund to help any ASA member experiencing financial hardship. As an
example, for those affected by the war in Ukraine or other areas in the
world, we welcome applications to help cover costs associated with mental
health services (e.g., therapist/psychologist).

The ASA IDEA Chapter Steering Committee and the ASA Executive have set up
the IDEA Community Fund
<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/MwxFCL7EwMfPkQlPmhBLitq?domain=asa.astronomy.org.au>
. Guidelines for the fund are attached.

Submission:

Applications should be submitted via the form at
https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/BnVWCMwGxOt52zv5RhkVgsJ?domain=forms.gle.  Applications will be received
initially by the Chair of the IDEA Chapter Steering Committee and will be
considered as they are received.

Prioritisation:

All ASA members may apply for funds with students and ECRs given priority.

Funding level:

Funding is normally up to AU$1000, based on need and benefit.

Confidentiality:

   -

   All information provided in applications will be kept confidential.
   -

   The application will be anonymised and then reviewed by the IDEA Chapter
   Steering Committee <https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/MVvhCNLJyQUNZjwNEFjPjV2?domain=asa-idea.org> and
   the ASA Executive
   <https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/jiokCOMKzVTANvEA0Frbkfd?domain=asa.astronomy.org.au>.
   -

   The application form will ask if the applicant would like any members
   excluded from the review process. Within the IDEA Chapter Steering
   Committee, only the Chair (currently Dr. Katie Jameson, CSIRO), will know
   the name of the applicant. If an applicant is not comfortable with the IDEA
   Chapter Chair knowing their name, then they may email the requested
   information from the online form to any member of the IDEA Chapter
   Steering Committee <https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/MVvhCNLJyQUNZjwNEFjPjV2?domain=asa-idea.org/>.
   -

   If funds are allocated, then the ASA Treasurer, the ASA Administrative
   Assistant and one Co-Secretary will need to see the name to arrange the
   transfer of funds.

Accessing funds:

After reviewing the ASA IDEA Community Fund Guidelines (attached and also
here
<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/O_bFCP7LAXf403J4oF6q8BF?domain=asa.astronomy.org.au>),
please fill the online form.
<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/R4HwCQnMBZf6XoJ63UAK8P_?domain=docs.google.com>

If you have any questions or concerns, please contact any member of the IDEA
Chapter Steering Committee <https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/MVvhCNLJyQUNZjwNEFjPjV2?domain=asa-idea.org/>
or ASA Executive
<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/jiokCOMKzVTANvEA0Frbkfd?domain=asa.astronomy.org.au/>.

Yours Sincerely

Katie Jameson (for IDEA)

John Lattanzio (for ASA Council)

--
*I'm an LGBTIQ Ally**      -     Find out more at **https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/pCdWCROND2urG5yrRTQLe3A?domain=monash.edu
<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/D4J5CVARKgCl2gzl5UEvAmm?domain=monash.edu>

Professor John Lattanzio
President, Astronomical Society of Australia

School of Physics and Astronomy
Monash University Victoria 3800 AUSTRALIA

Ph:  +61 (0)3 9905-4428
WWW: https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/1hjMCWLVXkUj6DNjPiOs6XB?domain=users.monash.edu.au <https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/pMDpCXLW2mUn4OknqHQzc-e?domain=maths.monash.edu.au>
https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/QKlBCYW8Noc3DAj3NsQODQy?domain=orcid.org

"May you be surrounded by friends and family, and if that is not your lot,
may the blessings find you in your solitude."  Leonard Cohen