[ASA] 2022 URSI Atlantic Radio Science Meeting

Shivani Bhandari bhandari at jive.eu
Thu Dec 2 05:05:45 AEDT 2021

Dear Colleagues,

The 3rd URSI Atlantic Radio Science Meeting (https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/AIJMCD1vlpT5Az8WXTW0T5A?domain=atrasc.com <https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/AIJMCD1vlpT5Az8WXTW0T5A?domain=atrasc.com/>) will be held in Gran Canaria from 30th May- 4th June 2022. Given the growth in the study of fast and slow radio transients, we are motivated to organize a session on time-domain astronomy -- observations and instrumentation. The session details are listed below.

The meeting will be held in a hybrid format and the deadline for abstract and paper submission is 15th Jan 2022 (see https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/0p4GCE8wmrt3x2ZzBTwoXSb?domain=atrasc.com <https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/0p4GCE8wmrt3x2ZzBTwoXSb?domain=atrasc.com>). We hope you will join us!

Please help us spread the word by sharing this advertisement with your colleagues; we especially encourage participation from groups not traditionally represented at URSI or radio astronomy meetings.

Session J03: Time-domain astronomy -- observations and instrumentation
Conveners: Shivani Bhandari & Casey Law

Abstract: Time-domain astronomy is a rapidly growing branch of astrophysics that investigates the evolution and changes of various cosmic objects over their lifetimes. The duration of such changes can range from a few milliseconds to hours, days, weeks, and years. Observations of gamma-ray bursts (GRBs), fast radio bursts (FRBs), blazars, tidal disruption events (TDE), supernovae (SNe), and other extreme scenarios, particularly at radio wavelengths, provide a unique opportunity to understand the fundamental processes that drive the Universe. Many facilities have played an important role in populating the transient phase-space over the last few decades, but the vast majority of it (especially the short duration) remains unexplored.

In this session, we plan to cover the most recent results, exciting observations, and current/upcoming surveys of a wide range of transients, including FRBs, GRBs, Neutron stars (pulsars, magnetars/X-ray binaries), Explosive Stellar Transients, Active Galactic Nuclei, TDEs, etc. We hope to bring together an outstanding group of international scientists working on different aspects of transient science to discuss the current state of the art, challenges, and future prospects to harness the untapped potential in the field of time-domain astronomy.

Kind Regards,
Shivani Bhandari & Casey Law