[ASA] ASA ASM 2021 wrap-up

John Lattanzio john.lattanzio at monash.edu
Sat Jul 17 15:12:17 AEST 2021

Dear ASA Members
   Thanks to all participants for an excellent ASM, under difficult and
changing circumstances. The ASA can pivot as well as the rest! :-)

   Please join me in congratulating the winners of the various Prizes
awarded at the ASM:

*Best student poster videos*
1st Michael Kriele (ICRAR)
    "159MHz Spherical Harmonic Diffuse Southern Sky Map"
2nd Jake Clark (USQ)
    "How do Stellar Surveys Improve the Properties of Planetary Systems?"
3rd Miguel Gonzalez-Bolivar (Macquarie U)
    "A common envelope with a thermally pulsing AGB star donor."

*Best student posters*
1st Anna-Maree Syme (UNSW)
    "Trihybrid Linelists: A CN Example"
2nd Sonja Panjkov (U Melbourne)
    "Placing Progenitor Constraints on the Supernova Remnant Population of
the Large Magellanic Cloud"
3rd Marcus Lower (Swinburne)
    "How do young pulsars spin down?"

*Best student talks*
1st Stephanie Monty (ANU)
    "Astrometry with MAVIS: Pushing Past the Limits of Gaia to the Crowded
Centres of Globular Clusters"
2nd Caro Derkenne (Macquarie U)
    "Density slopes of early-type galaxies from spatially resolved MUSE
stellar dynamics up to redshift ~ 0.5"
3rd place was a tie between:
      -Sara Webb (Swinburne)
        “Fast Flares in the Galaxy, and the unsupervised machine learning
used to find them”
      -Georgie Taylor (ANU)
        “Developing Supernova Models for Cosmology Applications”

*Robert Ellery Lecture (2020):* Matthew Bailes
    "Surveying the relativistic universe" (Delivered at the 2021 ASM)

*Robert Ellery Lecture (2021): *Tamara Davis
    To be delivered at the 2022 ASM in Hobart

*The David Allen Prize: *Geraint Lewis (U Sydney)
    For exceptional achievement in astronomy communication.

*The Anne Green Prize: *Keith Bannister (CASS)
    For a significant advance or accomplishment by a mid-career scientist.
    Awarded for his pioneering work on Fast Radio Bursts, with impact in
terms of success of ASKAP and successful implementation of the FRB search
mode, and for opening a key new area having impact in high energy physics,
galaxy evolution, the IGM and cosmology.

*The Louise Webster Prize:* Joe Callingham (ASTRON, formerly U Sydney)
    For outstanding research by a scientist early in their postdoctoral
career, based on one publication.
    "Anisotropic winds in a Wolf–Rayet binary identify a potential
gamma-ray burst progenitor"
    Nature Astronomy, 3, 82 (2019)

*Charlene Heisler Prize:* Colm Talbot (Monash)
    For best PhD Thesis: "Astrophysics of Binary Black Holes at the Dawn of
Gravitational-Wave Astronomy"

*The Bok Prize:* Madeleine McKenzie (UWA, formerly ANU)
    For best Honours or Masters thesis: "Simulating the Formation of
Multiple Stellar Populations in Globular Clusters"

    and an H*onourable Mention* to Ethan Payne (Monash)

*Roy Allen Medal *
For Exceptional Service to the Society, was awarded to
 -Roy Allen (31 years on Council)
 -Marc Duldig (36 years on Council, so far)
 -John O'Byrne (28 years on Council, so far)

The competition for all prizes was very intense, and indicates the
excellent research being done by our Community.

Finally I would like to thank everyone involved with this hybrid meeting -
LOC, SOC and all those who made the hubs work. Much happens in the
background that ensures things go smoothly and it was appreciated by all, I
am sure. I specifically want to extend extra thanks to Christian Reichardt,
Kim Dorrell and Rachel Webster.

I look forward to seeing you all (vrtually and/or physically) in Hobart
next year!

John Lattanzio, President
--
*I am an LGBTIQ Ally**      -     Find out more at https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/ZNHACNLJyQU0vZZjNhm3_RY?domain=monash.edu
<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/1fV5COMKzVTpqNNvAcvIz7G?domain=monash.edu>*

Professor John Lattanzio
President, Astronomical Society of Australia

School of Physics and Astronomy
Monash University Victoria 3800 AUSTRALIA

Ph:  +61 (0)3 9905-4428
WWW: https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/AEA-CP7LAXfKy0034s1MS4o?domain=users.monash.edu.au <https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/FoRjCQnMBZfkzXXo6hkCVm0?domain=maths.monash.edu.au>
https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/TxNqCROND2uv7GG5rhqm3fh?domain=orcid.org