[ASA] Call for expressions of interest for PhD scholarships at the University of Queensland - due 30 July 2021

Sarah Sweet s.sweet at uq.edu.au
Wed Jul 7 14:01:17 AEST 2021

Dear colleagues,

We would appreciate it if you would pass this message on to prospective students who might be interested.

The UQ Astro group is now inviting expressions of interest from students who seek a PhD scholarship to commence in January 2022 (Research Quarter 1). Due to travel restrictions, the call is open to on-shore (domestic and international) students only.

As a UQ Doctor of Philosophy (Astrophysics) candidate you will engage in original research, and be supervised by outstanding mentors, for the 3-4 year duration of your candidature. By the time of conferral, you will have developed independent research skills and made a significant contribution to the field of Astrophysics.

Undertaking your PhD with the UQ Astrophysics team would allow you to become a part of our group of world-class researchers and teachers, innovative industry experts, and join the brightest students as part of our team to deliver impact both across Australia and on an international stage.

UQ Astrophysics is embedded within the Discipline of Physics, which itself is part of the School of Mathematics and Physics in the Faculty of Science.

Astronomical and Space Sciences are amongst the University of Queensland’s research strengths, consistently receiving the top rating of “well-above international standard” in the Excellence in Research for Australia assessments.  The astrophysics group has been rapidly expanding over the last few years, and have leadership roles in major international collaborations such as:
• The Dark Energy Survey and Dark Energy Spectroscopic Instrument, mapping the evolution of structures in our Universe over billions of years.
• The Gambit Collaboration, combining astronomy and particle physics to uncover the nature of dark matter and search for physics beyond the standard model.
• The SAMI survey, using detailed maps of how stars and gas move around inside distant galaxies to explore how they have formed and evolved.
Our astrophysics staff have the reputation for being outstanding mentors and the impact of their guidance can be seen in in the outcomes for astrophysics PhD students who have gone on to successful careers doing postdoctoral research, lecturing, computer vision, and data science among a few.

PhD students at UQ typically get access to major telescopes and supercomputing facilities, including from our own local remote observing facility, as well as significant travel funding.  There are many opportunities to be involved in outreach and education initiatives. We welcome people from all backgrounds at UQ Astrophysics and we actively promote equal opportunity practices, diversity and inclusion across the School, as demonstrated by our Silver Pleiades award.

If you would like further information please contact me or one of the other UQ Astro people.

Important links:
The application process https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/FNoVCROND2uvKvQrps92kBR?domain=smp.uq.edu.au
Available projects https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/fJNrCVARKgCx4xXlEfztvY7?domain=smp.uq.edu.au
Please complete the EOI form at https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/RVSHCWLVXkU5p5xjQsKQiIC?domain=survey.app.uq.edu.au by 30 July 2021.