[ASA] BIGCAT Science Requirements workshop

Mahony, Elizabeth (CASS, Marsfield) Elizabeth.Mahony at csiro.au
Wed Mar 3 16:09:37 AEDT 2021

(Apologies if you receive this message multiple times).

ATNF is currently in the process of designing the upgrade of the digital backend of the Australia Telescope Compact Array (ATCA): the Broadband Integrated GPU Correlator for ATCA (BIGCAT). To capture the science requirements for this upgrade we are holding a workshop on the 11th & 12th of March (1-4pm AEDT/10am-1pm AWST). This workshop will consist of a series of short science talks presenting possible science cases for BIGCAT, and discussions around the data format/processing requirements and commissioning plans. The meeting will be entirely online, with Webex links emailed to registered participants prior to the meeting.

A draft program is available here: https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/NM1sCYW8Nocyr83YC0MC_-?domain=atnf.csiro.au

This is an open workshop and all are welcome to attend. If anyone would like to present a short science talk on a potential use case for BIGCAT please send an email to elizabeth.mahony at csiro.au<mailto:elizabeth.mahony at csiro.au> with a title and few sentences about your proposed talk. We are looking for science use cases that could stretch the BIGCAT system to enable us to make informed decisions on the system design to make it suitable for as many future science cases as possible.

For more technical information on the current design of BIGCAT a summary document is available here: https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/b-61CZY1NqiWJGMvHj9D0R?domain=atnf.csiro.au

If there are any further questions either about the BIGCAT upgrade or this workshop please get in touch with either myself (Elizabeth.Mahony at csiro.au<mailto:Elizabeth.Mahony at csiro.au>) or Chris Phillips (Chris.Phillips at csiro.au<mailto:Chris.Phillips at csiro.au>).

Many thanks,
Elizabeth Mahony

BIGCAT Project Scientist

Dr Elizabeth Mahony
Research Scientist
Astronomy and Space Science  |  CSIRO
elizabeth.mahony at csiro.au<mailto:elizabeth.mahony at csiro.au>  |  02 9372 4143

Usual working days: Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday

CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and we pay our respects to their Elders past and present.

CSIRO Australia’s National Science Agency  |  csiro.au<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/BuLzC1WLPxcQVRpgCpwSPS?domain=csiro.au>