[ASA] IAU Early Career Astronomer (ECA) Online Discourse Series

Themiya Nanayakkara wnanayakkara at swin.edu.au
Mon Oct 12 13:50:32 AEDT 2020

Dear ASA,

The IAU Junior Member Working Group is organising a series of workshops in a variety of topics catered at the Early Career Researchers. The first 4 workshops are now announced and are in large  Australian friendly times. All videos will be available online if you can’t make it to the live event:

 - "The IAU: What does it do? How to get involved?" & "Careers discussion”: Thursday October 15th, 2020: 8:00-9:00 UTC:
Prof Dr. Ewine F. van Dishoeck (IAU President; Leiden University)
Prof. Dr. Maria Teresa V. T. Lago (IAU General Secretary; University of Porto)

-  "Careering through astrophysics”: Thursday October 22nd, 2020: 8:00-9:00 UTC:
Prof. Dr. Jocelyn Bell Burnell (University of Oxford)

-  "ESO: the most powerful telescopes and a community of practice”: Thursday October 29th, 2020: 9:00-10:00 UTC
Prof. Dr. Xavier Barcons (ESO Director General)

- "How to present online?’: Thursday November 12th, 2020: 9:00-11:00 UTC / 10:00-12:00 CET
Hans Van de Water (The Floor is Yours) https://thefloorisyours.be/en/ <https://thefloorisyours.be/en/>

More details can be found in the attached flyer.
Please register here: https://forms.gle/KHsjyu2jm3ogCdkq9 <https://forms.gle/KHsjyu2jm3ogCdkq9> and feel free to spread the word to non-ASA members.

Also if you are within your first 6 years of PhD and would like to consider joining as an IAU Junior Member, the membership call is now open:  https://www.iau.org/news/announcements/detail/ann20035/?lang <https://www.iau.org/news/announcements/detail/ann20035/?lang> and the NCA (Virginia) will send more details on the Australian joining process.

Please let us know if you have any questions, both me and Ellie (eleanor.sansom at curtin.edu.au <mailto:eleanor.sansom at curtin.edu.au> ) are in the organising committee.

Thanks,

Themiya.