[ASA] STA: Indigenous STEM Network - callout to STA member societies

Cathryn Trott Cathryn.Trott at curtin.edu.au
Mon Jul 27 20:36:19 AEST 2020

Dear ASA Members,

Please see below the request from Science and Technology Australia, of which the ASA is a member organisation, calling for expressions of interest in an Indigenous STEM Professionals network.

As you will also see, STA has been developing a STA Reconciliation Action Plan, with an engaged working group, and we look forward to seeing the outcome of that important work.

Regards,
Cathryn

Cathryn Trott

Associate Professor
ARC Future Fellow

President, Astronomical Society of Australia

________________________________
From: Misha Schubert <ceo at sta.org.au>
Subject: Indigenous STEM Network - callout to STA member societies

Dear Cathryn,

I am pleased to let you know that STA is well advanced on work towards an inaugural STA Reconciliation Action Plan.

This work has been led by STA’s RAP Working Group. It comprises Quandamooka First Nations man and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Mathematics Alliance Chair Professor Chris Matthews, Kamilaroi man and Deadly Science founder Corey Tutt, STA’s equity, diversity and inclusion committee co-chair Associate Professor Sumeet Walia, EDI committee member and CEO at AeRO Sam Moskwa, and me as CEO.

We look forward to sharing the RAP with you once the formal processes are finalised with Reconciliation Australia.

One of the key aspirations articulated to STA by Chris, Corey and Canberra-based Kamilaroi water scientist, PhD candidate and Associate Professor Brad Moggridge has been for us to help support the creation of an Indigenous STEM Professionals network.

A first step for us to ask STA member societies for your help in this process.

We would be grateful if you could do a callout to your Indigenous members about this opportunity.

We are hopeful that you may have Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander members who are STEM professionals and would like to be part of these formative discussions or would be happy to be contacted about this initiative.

If so, we would ask if your society might be able to seek permission from those members for their contact details to be provided to us at STA so we can share them with Chris, Corey and Brad.

We would then look to explore how this group might be gathered virtually to start a grassroots Indigenous-led conversation about this aspiration and next steps.

If you could aim to go out to your members and come back to STA (via this email address) with names and contact details to STA by Monday August 10, we would be incredibly grateful to you. An email and a phone number for each person would be ideal.

Many thanks in advance for your strong support of this initiative.

Warm regards,

Misha

Misha Schubert
Chief Executive Officer
P: 02 6257 2891 M: 0421 612 351
PO Box 259, Canberra City, ACT 2601
E:  misha.schubert at sta.org.au<mailto:misha.schubert at sta.org.au>

[STA-Logo-WEBSITE-80x]

We work flexibly at Science & Technology Australia. If you receive an email from me outside normal business, I am sending it at that time as it suits me. I’m not expecting you to read or reply until your normal business hours. [https://sta.my.salesforce.com/servlet/servlet.ImageServer?oid=00D7F000000rLRv&esid=0187F00000H81gx]