[ASA] A message from the ESO Users Committee

Caroline Foster caroline.foster at sydney.edu.au
Fri May 1 09:38:20 AEST 2020

Good morning to all,

The 44th ESO Users Committee meeting has just ended last night. We are still working on our recommendations, but I will send an update in due time (recommendations usually become public around August). In the meantime, the committee drafted the following email to communicate to our community of users.

——

Dear ESO User,

The ESO Users Committee is well aware of how the COVID-19 pandemic is affecting us all. We would like to remind all users that, according to the ESO rules (as stated in the Call for Proposals P106, page 31):

"[…] The extension of the proprietary period or restrictions to the access to header information, may be granted in special cases. The corresponding requests have to be justified in detail and submitted to the Director General of ESO for approval.”

If the current pandemic is indeed jeopardising your ability to complete your data reduction/data analysis you may contact ESO Users Support  Department "usd-help at eso.org<mailto:usd-help at eso.org>” well before the end of your data’s proprietary period stating your circumstances and the reasons for requesting an extension.

Note that users may also request extensions to the proprietary time for other reasons such as maternity leave or long-term illness.

Clear skies!
Caroline Foster

On behalf of the ESO  User’s Committee.
--
Dr Caroline Foster
ASTRO3D Fellow & ESO Users Committee Representative

360B, A28 | The University of Sydney | NSW |
+61 286 276 411  | +61 430 453 532
caroline.foster at sydney.edu.au<mailto:caroline.foster at sydney.edu.au>  | www.carofoster.com<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/c7OxCQnMBZfgENG8hxM2fn?domain=carofoster.com>

Usual office days: Monday and Friday (@USyd), Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday (until 2:30pm)

INSPIRED – the Campaign to support the University of Sydney
sydney.edu.au/inspired<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/7_-UCROND2uokg9JhNp_uH?domain=sydney.edu.au>

CRICOS 00026A
This email plus any attachments to it are confidential. Any unauthorised use is strictly prohibited.
If you receive this email in error, please delete it and any attachments.

Please think of our environment and only print this email if necessary.