[ASA] Conference Announcement: "Linking the Galactic and Extragalactic"

Jesse Van de Sande jesse.vandesande at sydney.edu.au
Wed Apr 15 11:36:47 AEST 2020

Dear Colleagues,

It is our pleasure to announce that abstract submission is now open for the conference "Linking the Galactic and Extragalactic: stellar dynamics and stellar populations of the Milky Way and its siblings” to be held in Wollongong (NSW, Australia), November 30 - December 4, 2020. The deadline for contributed talk and poster abstracts is the 1st of June, 2020. Further details can be found at the conference website:

https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/aVk3CQnMBZf9lWOMTxMaR1?domain=extragalactic-milkyways.org

Rationale:

Our Milky Way is by far the best­ studied galaxy in the Universe, and it has long been regarded as a benchmark for understanding disk galaxies. We have made major leaps in our understanding of the Galaxy in the last few years, enabled by Gaia, APOGEE, GALAH, and LAMOST. However, the Milky Way is only one galaxy, and trying to understand the complex processes of galaxy formation and evolution from a single object is extremely challenging.

In this conference we aim to link Galactic and Extragalactic research, both of which bring unique perspectives to understanding how disk galaxies formed. The recent wealth of detailed Milky Way measurements from GALAH, APOGEE, LAMOST, and Gaia, combined with results from spatially resolved spectroscopic surveys such as SAMI, MaNGA, CALIFA, and with VLT­-MUSE, make this the ideal time to link Galactic and extragalactic research. Crucial in this discussion are the recent results from large cosmological and Milky Way zoom in simulations that show that the Galaxy might not be the ideal template for understanding disk formation as previously thought.

The four key topics for the meeting will be the stellar dynamics and populations of the Milky Way and the stellar dynamics and populations of extragalactic galaxies, and an extra topic dedicated to comparing the different disciplines.

COVID-19:

The Organising Committee are continuing to monitor COVID-19 and how it may impact on the Conference. At this stage, we are working under the assumption that the travel situation will have mostly returned to normal by the end of November 2020. If travel restrictions remain until the end of this year, we have a set of contingency plans, such as holding a virtual conference, or postponing the meeting to a later date. Should such plans become necessary abstracts submitted now will receive full consideration for the new conference format. Registration payment will open at a later date to provide maximum flexibility for participants with respect to the broader international situation.

We will provide childcare support to maximise participation of those with carer responsibilities and seek to accommodate those with other specific needs to enable their full participation in the meeting.

We would appreciate if you can circulate this widely among your colleagues.

Best regards,

Nic Scott and Jesse van de Sande (on behalf of the SOC)

Dr Jesse van de Sande | ARC DECRA Fellow
The University of Sydney
Faculty of Science, School of Physics, Sydney Institute for Astronomy (SIfA)
Rm 328 | +61 2 2862 74223 | School of Physics A28
The University of Sydney | NSW | 2006 | AUSTRALIA
jesse.vandesande at sydney.edu.au<mailto:jesse.vandesande at sydney.edu.au>  | http://physics.usyd.edu.au/~sande
CRICOS 00026A
This email plus any attachments to it are confidential. Any unauthorised use is strictly prohibited.
If you receive this email in error, please delete it and any attachments.
Please think of our environment and only print this email if necessary.