[ASA] ADACS Internship Program 2020 - Call for Applications

Jarrod Hurley jhurley at swin.edu.au
Tue Feb 25 22:30:28 AEDT 2020

________________________________

Call for Applications

ADACS Internship Program 2020

Astronomy Data and Computing Services (ADACS) is an initiative by Astronomy Australia Limited (AAL) aiming to provide astronomy-focused training, support and expertise to allow Australian astronomers to maximise the scientific return from their data and computing infrastructure. A principal component of this initiative is to empower the astronomy community to harness the potential of the next generation telescopes and astronomy simulations. Internships and hands-on experience are essential parts of our training services.  They aim to give users with an intermediate to advanced level of computing expertise the hands-on experience required to progress their skills further or seek alternative career paths (if they choose to do so).

The next round of this internship program is now open for applications. We expect to have up to two successful applicants in this round. These applicants will work on a project for up to three months and will be based at the ADACS Swinburne node in Melbourne. ADACS will provide a weekly stipend at a rate similar to that of a PhD scholarship. Additional support for applicants who do not reside in Melbourne can be considered.

We aim to provide the successful applicants with a realistic experience of working in a professional software development environment. In addition to the

technical experience to be gained from working on projects associated with first-class computational and visualisation facilities the applicants will work directly within an Agile project management framework.

ADACS operates a merit-based software and development service to the astronomy community with 3-4 projects typically designated for development each semester via an independent Time Assignment Committee (TAC). These projects can vary in length from a few weeks to months and involve aspects ranging from GPU programming to web development. We envisage that the successful intern will work alongside experienced ADACS developers on one or more of these projects during the internship. However, the scope of the internship need not be limited by these projects.  Other opportunities will exist, such as to work directly on projects to enhance the OzSTAR high-performance computing (HPC) environment and development of ADACS internal infrastructure to support delivery of our programs. There is also the potential to shape a project to meet the skillset and/or interests of the applicant.

Completed ADACS internships to date have included the following topics:

- Large-scale Visualisation for ASKAP Data Cubes;

- Machine Learning for Text Mining and Analytics;

- Building a Job Monitor for Supercomputer Workflows.

Relevant skills applicable to the internship are (but not limited to):

  *   C/C++
  *   Python
  *   HTML5/JS/React.Js/Django
  *   Machine learning algorithms
  *   GPU programming
  *   Experience working with a linux operating system.

Moderate experience in one or more of these areas will be a plus.

However, there is no expectation that you will be an expert in any or all of these areas.

How to Apply?

Applications are due by 5 PM AEST Thursday 26th March 2020. Please send your applications to jhurley at swin.edu.au<mailto:ahassan at swin.edu.au> making sure to include:

- a one-page cover letter outlining your strengths and suitability for the internship, including any pointers on the type of experience you are hoping to gain;

- a CV of maximum four-pages.

Please do contact ADACS (using the email address given above) if you have any queries about the program prior to making an application.

ADACS encourages applications from all astronomy PhD students based at publicly-funded Australian institutions. ADACS has a strong commitment to equity and diversity. We encourage applications from female and minority candidates.

Disclaimer: The nationality of the candidate and their work/student rights in Australia may impact our ability to accept some applications. Please contact the local HDR team of your university to check if you can accept such an internship opportunity or not. Please feel free to contact us and get our team involved as early as you want.

ADACS is a collaboration between Swinburne University of Technology, Curtin University, and the Pawsey Supercomputing Centre. It is funded under the Astronomy National Collaborative Research Infrastructure Strategy (NCRIS) Program via Astronomy Australia Ltd (AAL).

Best Regards,

Jarrod Hurley

https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/YZ0YCK1qJZt22kAB9iMYmNk?domain=adacs.org.au<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/YZ0YCK1qJZt22kAB9iMYmNk?domain=adacs.org.au>