[ASA] Ultra-wide-bandwidth Low Frequency Receiver Observer Training

Green, Jimi (CASS, Kensington WA) James.Green at csiro.au
Mon Feb 24 12:17:02 AEDT 2020

For those interested in observing with the CSIRO Parkes Radio telescope:

The Parkes Telescope has undergone a number of changes from the user perspective recently with the advent of the new ultra-wide-bandwidth receiver (UWL) and its associated systems (such as the new control interface, DHAGU, and the backend, MEDUSA). As such we will have three observer training workshops next month, March 2020, ahead of the new semester starting in April (2020APRS).

The training sessions are scheduled as follows:

Friday 13th March 2020 9am-12pm AWST (UTC+8) at the ARRC Building in Kensington, Perth, WA

Monday 16th March 2020 2pm-5pm AEDT (UTC+11) at Swinburne University, Melbourne, VIC

Thursday 19th March 2020 9am-12pm AEDT (UTC+11) at CASS Marsfield, Sydney, NSW

To express interest in attending one of these sessions, either in person, or remotely, please complete the form here: https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/zbzvCK1qJZt22JxnNUMR_eQ?domain=forms.gle
and you will receive further details for the relevant session soon. If the form does not work from your country, please email your expression of interest directly to me.

The sessions will involve presentations on the capabilities of the receiver, the new interfaces, and then practical time for people to generate observing schedules and troubleshoot.

To note we will also host a data reduction workshop later in the year dedicated to reducing and analysing the new UWL data.

Kind regards,

Jimi

Dr. Jimi Green
Parkes Senior System Scientist, CASS Group Leader
CSIRO Astronomy and Space Science
james.green at csiro.au<mailto:james.green at csiro.au>  |  08 6436 8879
ARRC Building, 26 Dick Perry Avenue, Kensington, WA 6151

CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and we pay our respects to their Elders past and present.

CSIRO Australia’s National Science Agency | csiro.au