[ASA] Call for ESO OPC nominations

Caroline Foster caroline.foster at sydney.edu.au
Tue Nov 19 09:45:34 AEDT 2019

Dear fellow Australian astronomers,

Please forward the following to relevant people within and beyond your institute.

ESO will soon issue its biannual call for nominations to serve on the Observing Programmes Committee (i.e. the ESO “TAC”). As the ESO Users Committee representative, it is my role to nominate suitable and willing Australian astronomers. About half of Australia's nominations are due to expire this month, so if you have been nominated 2 years ago but haven’t yet served on the OPC, your nomination is expiring and can be renewed.

The terms of reference and rules of procedures are available here<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/od1IC81Zj6tVWyRESnMGab?domain=eso.org>.  The OPC meets twice a year physically in Garching, Germany, at ESO’s expense. Selected panel and committee members will need to carefully review several tens of proposals each and grade around 100 proposals at the meeting based on discussion. Serving on the OPC represents a significant amount of work and time. For this reason, people typically serve on the OPC for only 2 consecutive periods (1 year), although more senior astronomers may be asked to serve for 2 years as panel chairs.

If you/someone you know are/is qualified and available to serve on the OPC (ESO requests for 2nd postdoc of beyond), please contact me directly. Be sure to include the OPC subcategory<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/e6dLC91ZkQtyAwBDFE2Yqt?domain=eso.org>. Additionally, ORCID, experience on ESO telescopes and the year of PhD award may optionally be included with the nomination (recommended). If you have been nominated recently, but haven’t been contacted by ESO yet, know that your name stays in the system for a total of 4 periods (2 years). If you are unsure, I am quite happy to check the database for your name.

It is in Australia’s best interest to have as many Australian astronomers on the various OPC panels, which cover a range of science topics. I am looking for a diverse (particularly in gender, expertise and seniority) pool of Australian astronomers who are in their second postdoc or beyond to nominate. Exceptional junior postdocs may also be considered.

Clear Skies!

Caroline
--
Dr Caroline Foster
ASTRO3D Fellow & ESO Users Committee Representative

360B, A28 | The University of Sydney | NSW |
+61 286 276 411  | +61 430 453 532
caroline.foster at sydney.edu.au<mailto:caroline.foster at sydney.edu.au>  | https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/dsg1C0YZWVFOQA3pI2UvK-?domain=carofoster.com<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/ecJ6CgZowLHXKz2Dc3PYBa?domain=carofoster.com>

Office days: Monday (@USyd), Tuesday, Thursday, Friday (@USyd)

INSPIRED – the Campaign to support the University of Sydney
https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/kIxhCjZrzqHLDxqVU1r-7c?domain=sydney.edu.au<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/e96qCk8vAZtVAJQPS89mCo?domain=sydney.edu.au>

CRICOS 00026A
This email plus any attachments to it are confidential. Any unauthorised use is strictly prohibited.
If you receive this email in error, please delete it and any attachments.

Please think of our environment and only print this email if necessary.