[ASA] ADACS astro-computational hack week 2020

Rebecca Lange rebecca.lange at curtin.edu.au
Thu Nov 14 11:52:24 AEDT 2019

Dear Astronomers,

A quick reminder that the application for the ADACS astro-computational hack week, to be held 10 to 14 February 2020 at the AAO (North Ryde) in Sydney, closes at the end of this week.
Please forward the info on to any interested parties that might not be on the ASA mailing list.

In recent years hack weeks have become a popular way of introducing and teaching new data analysis methods to researchers and there are examples across many fields, including astronomy.
Aside from structured tutorials delivered by experts, the astrocomp hack week will include participant led unconference sessions, presentations, hack sessions, and tutorials. As well as upskilling the participants the hack week aims to encourage collaboration and sharing of knowledge of astronomy tools, e.g., useful Python packages, techniques and coding best practices. A draft schedule can be found here<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/ZTxHCANZvPiyNomZtG0uRL?domain=adacs-australia.github.io>.

ADACS is developing the content of the workshop in collaboration with OzGrav, ASTRO 3D, and the ASVOs with input from the ASA ECR chapter and PhD students.
For more information visit the astrocomp hack week webpage<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/jnPJCBNZwLiQ7mZDi6nvUE?domain=adacs-australia.github.io>.

Application
To ensure a wide variety of attendees, we have put together an application form for the hack week. We will be using entrofy<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/41hVCD1jy9t25m6ouA_W9Y?domain=github.com> to select participants based on maximising diversity across skills, skills levels, gender/minority identity, geographic location, career stage, and field of research.

Due to the interactive nature of the workshop and space constraints we will cap attendance at a max of 40. The registration is free for students and kept low-cost for researchers at $100. We also have a limited number of travel grants available and you can indicate during your application if you require financial assistance.

Applications are until Sunday 17 November 2019 - 11.59pm AWST and the application form can be found here<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/AWOmCE8kz9tr3GAlcPZxNm?domain=forms.gle>
If you would like to propose a talk or tutorial, please be prepared to submit a title and abstract as part of your application.

———
Dr. Rebecca Lange
Computational Training Lead | Astronomy Data and Computing Services (ADACS)
Data Scientist | Curtin Institute for Computation (CIC)

Curtin University
Phone +61 8 9266 2074
Web     https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/NBEeCGvmB5ix1lyBhkQ-B9?domain=adacs.org.au
Twitter @AdacsAus

ADACS is funded under the Astronomy National Collaborative Research Infrastructure Strategy (NCRIS) Program via Astronomy Australia Ltd (AAL), and delivered jointly by Swinburne University of Technology, Curtin University, and Pawsey Supercomputing Centre.