[ASA] Fwd: IAU | Proposals for Symposia and Focus Meetings 2021 (deadline 15/9/19)

Matthew Colless matthew.colless at anu.edu.au
Tue Jul 16 09:12:55 AEST 2019

From: IAU General Secretary <no-reply at iau.org<mailto:no-reply at iau.org>>
Sent: Thursday, 11 July 2019 6:53 PM
To: ICSU at AAS <icsu at science.org.au<mailto:icsu at science.org.au>>
Subject: IAU Symposia and Focus Meetings 2021

Dear colleagues, soon we will be expecting to receive the Letters of Intent (LoI) for the 2021 Symposia (both the 6 GA Symposia and the 3 non-GA Symposia) and 12 GA Focus Meetings. As you know the deadline for submitting the LoIs is the 15th of September. I advise you to read carefully the Rules & Guidelines for IAU Scientific Meetings before preparing the LoI (https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/gcXmCq7BKYtrrZ0BUZhz_Y?domain=iau.org).

Taking into consideration the impact that an IAU Symposium may have on the local community, and because inclusion and networking are very important for the IAU, I take the opportunity to remind you that, besides the usual support in travel grants offered by the IAU to any IAU Symposium (up to €20 000), further extra financial support (up to €15 000) will be offered, from now on, to countries hosting a Symposium for the first time (https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/AzJiCr8DLRtjjEVMcz_D3Y?domain=iau.org). The extra funding may be used for organisational expenses, including invited speakers.

Therefore, I call on you to consider networking with colleagues in other countries taking advantage of this new opening, and working towards expanding the list of countries successfully hosting IAU Symposia.

I look forward to hear from you.

Best regards, Teresa

Prof. Teresa Lago
IAU General Secretary