[ASA] Australian involvement in the Large Synoptic Survey Telescope (LSST)

Sarah Brough s.brough at unsw.edu.au
Mon Jul 1 11:53:36 AEST 2019

Dear All,

If you are interested in LSST and would like to know more, Rachel
Webster will lead an LSST unconference session at the ASA Annual Science
Meeting from 11.40am Thurs 11th July.

The Large Synoptic Survey Telescope (LSST; https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/zrdSC81Zj6tq2NWrCn1pSz?domain=lsst.org) is an
8.4m optical telescope under construction in Chile. Starting in 2023 it
will conduct a 10-year imaging survey of the Southern hemisphere.

International engagement with LSST has recently changed from a cash
contribution of US$200,000 per PI to a, not-yet specified, in-kind
contribution.

At the moment, Astronomy Australia Limited (AAL) holds an MOU with the
LSST Corporation for 10 (+40 junior) named researchers. The named PIs
are given at the Australian LSST webpages,
https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/2IBbC91ZkQtql4A1CE98FO?domain=astronomyaustralia.org.au. These researchers can
join any of the 8 LSST Science Collaborations
(https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/c8uYC0YZWVFB7NQ8f2tWYS?domain=lsstcorporation.org) and get
involved with LSST science right now.

With the change to the in-kind contribution, we would like to broaden
the membership of LSST to any interested astronomer in Australia.

There is also more information at the Australian LSST webpages:
https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/2IBbC91ZkQtql4A1CE98FO?domain=astronomyaustralia.org.au

Regards,
Sarah
(Australian Science Lead for LSST)

--
Assoc/Prof Sarah Brough

I am sending this message now because it suits me.  I don’t expect that you will read,
respond to, or action it outside of your regular working hours.