[ASA] [Lofar-news] Traineeship in Science Operations with Massive arrays - 2019

John O'Byrne john.obyrne at sydney.edu.au
Fri Dec 21 10:03:31 AEDT 2018

From Vanessa Moss:

>>> Roberto Pizzo <pizzo at astron.nl<mailto:pizzo at astron.nl>> 12/19/18 11:05 AM >>>
Dear colleagues,

we would like to bring to your attention a new opportunity to follow a traineeship in Science Operations with Massive Arrays at ASTRON and JIVE in 2019 - find more details below. Please forward this e-mail to any potential candidate.

Comment from last year’s trainees: ‘We cannot speak highly enough of the experience provided by the traineeship and in particular, the opportunity given to us to act as telescope scientists on duty and lead daily operational meetings and activities. It was a once-in-a-lifetime experience that we recommend for every young radio astronomer"

Best regards,

Roberto Pizzo
Head Science Operations & Support, ASTRON

———

The Netherlands Institute for Radio Astronomy (ASTRON) and the Joint Institute for VLBI ERIC (JIVE) announce the availability of a minimum of two grants for their Traineeship in Science Operations with massive arrays. The programme enables astronomers (post doc, PhD or graduate student level) to spend a trimester (12 weeks) at the institute in Dwingeloo in the Netherlands. Under the supervision of Telescope Scientists, you will develop fundamental skills and novel experimental methods on systems using technologies that produce cutting-edge science now and contribute to the development of the SKA. ASTRON & JIVE are committed to increasing their staff diversity, and we are especially interested in applications from all traditionally under-represented groups.

This programme will be sponsored by ASTRON and the Joining Up Users for Maximising the Profile, the Innovation and the Necessary Globalisation of JIVE (JUMPING JIVE) project, which has received funding from the European Union's Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under grant agreement No 730884.

The available positions are open to applicants from all countries. JUMPING JIVE will specifically sponsor the positions for applications from African countries.

Successful candidates will be appointed to a mentor and will acquire a deep/inside knowledge and understanding of all aspects of the operations of world-class instruments. Moreover, they will strongly benefit from the daily interaction with our scientists, engineers, and support staff, who all work in close collaboration at our institute.

We anticipate that the 12-week traineeship programme will be divided into 10 weeks to provide the full exposure to LOFAR operations, and 2 weeks to introduce VLBI operations at JIVE from the viewpoint of the European VLBI Network (EVN).

At the beginning of the LOFAR training, the applicant will be initiated to the capabilities of the hardware and the software pipelines and their data products. She/He will be exposed to the active complex array science operations, learning how to master them independently. The JIVE training will provide exposure to VLBI operations, data acquisition and processing. The traineeship programme will also include lectures and activities with the support groups such as visits to the LOFAR core, to the LOFAR and JIVE/EVN correlators; production cluster sites; and one of the LOFAR Long-Term Archive sites.

We expect the traineeship programme to start at the beginning of May 2019. The final dates will be set based on the availability of the selected applicants.

More details about the traineeship and on how to apply can be found at

https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/qlblC71ZgLtYVVn1i8yngU?domain=werkenbijastron.nl<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/qlblC71ZgLtYVVn1i8yngU?domain=werkenbijastron.nl>

—————————————————————————
"The standard you walk past is the standard you accept”
—————————————————————————

ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR JOHN O’BYRNE
Associate Dean (Student Life), Faculty of Science
Secretary, Astronomical Society of Australia Inc.

Sydney Institute for Astronomy
School of Physics | Faculty of Science

THE UNIVERSITY OF SYDNEY
Rm 205, Physics Building A28
Postal address: School of Physics | The University of Sydney | NSW | Australia | 2006
T +61 2 9351 3184  | F +61 2 9351 7726
E john.obyrne at sydney.edu.au<mailto:john.obyrne at sydney.edu.au>  | W  http://sydney.edu.au/science/people/john.obyrne

CRICOS 00026A
This email plus any attachments to it are confidential. Any unauthorised use is strictly prohibited.
If you receive this email in error, please delete it and any attachments.