[ASA] MIAPP 2019 programme - please register by November 12th

Lister Staveley-Smith lister.staveley-smith at uwa.edu.au
Tue Oct 30 22:48:00 AEDT 2018

Dear colleague:

We are writing to let you know that a month long programme titled "Galaxy Evolution in a New Era of HI Surveys" will be held at the Munich Institute for Astro- and Particle Physics (MIAPP) in Garching, Germany from July 29 through August 23, 2019. With this email, we are pleased to invite you to register for the programme before the deadline of *** November 12, 2018 *** by following the link at the bottom of this web page:

https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/9sp8Cvl0PoCDZN96iQSzId?domain=munich-iapp.de

The programme aims to connect teams executing new surveys of HI in galaxies with the broader astronomical communities studying gas and galaxy evolution, bringing together a cross-cutting group of scientists that includes both theorists and multi-wavelength observers. Roughly a week apiece will be devoted to examining four key questions:

o How do ionised and molecular gas cool into and condense out of galaxies' HI reservoirs as functions of redshift, environment, and other parameters?

o How do HI emission-line and absorption-line observations relate to optical absorption-line measurements of the evolving cosmic gas density?

o How can HI observations be exploited to understand the dynamical properties of disk galaxies and their possible evolution with redshift?

o How do surveys of HI at z = 0 best inform the analysis of surveys of HI at z ~ 1, and vice versa?

Following an initial three-day topical workshop ("Nine Billion Years of Neutral Gas Evolution") on July 29-31, the programme will have an informal format, with a very limited number of talks in the morning and ample room for discussion and collaboration in the afternoon.

Because space for the programme per se is limited to 45 persons per day, final decisions on accepted participants will be made after the registration deadline. (The topical workshop will have a much greater capacity and a separate registration process and deadline.) To facilitate your planning, we can already provide some practical information about the programme:

o Accepted participants from outside the Munich area will receive support for accommodation and local expenses in the amount of EUR 80 per day; families with children will receive additional support in the amount of EUR 40 per day.

o Accepted participants from the Munich area will be assigned office space on-site to enable their full participation in the programme, but will not be eligible for financial support.

o Advanced graduate students from outside the Munich area may apply for up to EUR 500 of travel support when registering for the programme. As described on the MIAPP website, such an application must be supported by a letter of recommendation from a supervisor that is submitted before the registration deadline.

o MIAPP has a strict policy of only accepting participants who commit to staying for at least two weeks of a programme. (If this policy precludes your participation in next year's programme, we hope you will still consider attending the three-day topical workshop as an alternative.)

We hope you are as excited about this scientific opportunity as we are, and we hope you will indeed register by the deadline of *** November 12, 2018 ***. Please do not hesitate to contact us or the MIAPP staff in the event that you require further information.

Sincerely yours,

Andrew Baker (ajbaker at physics.rutgers.edu<mailto:ajbaker at physics.rutgers.edu>)
Jacqueline van Gorkom (jvangork at astro.columbia.edu<mailto:jvangork at astro.columbia.edu>)
Lister Staveley-Smith (lister.staveley-smith at uwa.edu.au<mailto:lister.staveley-smith at uwa.edu.au>)