[ASA] Galaxy Simulation PhD position at Western Sydney University

Luke Barnes L.Barnes2 at westernsydney.edu.au
Thu Sep 13 15:52:58 AEST 2018

The School of Computing, Engineering and Mathematics and Western Sydney University invites applications for a PhD student position in theoretical cosmology and galaxy formation. This work will be carried out under the supervision of Dr Luke Barnes and Professor Ray Norris.

About the project
Using supercomputer simulations of galaxy formation, we will investigate the effect of fundamental cosmological parameters on structure in the universe. We will model the formation of galaxies in lumpier and smoother sub-universes, and universes with different amounts of dark matter. Our group has previously explored the effect of the cosmological constant (arxiv.org/abs/1801.08781<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/I3cvCGvmB5igE8ArSKaOTN?domain=arxiv.org>), and will extend and expand this approach, working with a world-leading galaxy formation code.

What does the scholarship provide?

  *   Domestic students will receive a tax-free stipend of $30,000 per annum for up to 3 years to support living costs. Tuition fees will be supported by the Research Training Program (RTP) Fees Offset.
  *   International students will receive a tax-free stipend of $30,000 per annum to support living costs. Those with a strong track record will be eligible for a tuition fee waiver.
  *   All international students are required to hold an Overseas Student Health Care (OSHC) policy covering the duration of study, with the scholarship including funding for Single cover.
  *   Support for conference attendance, travel and additional costs as approved by the School.

For eligibility conditions and to apply, see the details here<https://www.westernsydney.edu.au/graduate_research_school/grs/scholarships/current_scholarships/current_scholarships/scem_simulations_of_galaxy_formation_in_alternative_universes>.

Applications close on October 14.

Please share with prospective students.