[ASA] STA communique

Stuart Wyithe swyithe at unimelb.edu.au
Wed May 2 08:30:03 AEST 2018

Dear ASA members,

Please find below a communique from STA. This communique is the first step in a campaign to highlight the important role that science and technology will play in Australia’s future, and is aimed at raising the profile of science and technology in preparation for the next federal election.

A link to the communique can also be found on the STA website
- https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/BqMyCq7BKYt9pvllSZcyfQ?domain=scienceandtechnologyaustralia.org.au<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/P8H9Cr8DLRtx5OooSzKCGX?domain=scienceandtechnologyaustralia.us9.list-manage.com>

ASA members are encouraged to distribute this through their own networks and communication channels.

Regards,

Stuart
(ASA president)

STEM leaders forge path to stronger Australian science and technology
Presidents, CEOs and other leaders of Australia’s most prominent science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) organisations gathered in Canberra today (1 May) to highlight the important role that science and technology will play in Australia’s future.
They released the following statement:
________________________________
Collectively representing more than 70,000 Australian scientists and technologists through our membership and staff, we call for science to be a priority platform for the major parties’ campaigns in the next federal election.
Science and technology will shape our future, but without adequate support and high profile, Australian science, innovation and discovery will fall by the wayside.
There are four areas of focus we call on decision-makers and candidates to address when Australians are called to vote at the next election:

  *   A whole-of-government plan for science and technology
  *   A strategy to equip the future Australian workforce with STEM skills
  *   Strong investment in both basic and applied research
  *   Creating policy informed by the best available evidence
Specific issues to be addressed include:

  *   A thorough and thoughtful response to the R&D Tax Incentive review, that achieves a system that boosts public-private collaboration and accentuates Australia’s scientific and technological strengths
  *   A clear and long-term plan to support Australia’s research infrastructure, informed by the National Research Infrastructure Roadmap
  *   A bold and ambitious national target for scientific and technological research investment, which puts Australia in a position to lead the world in STEM.
  *   Action to remove barriers (such as caps and limits) that stand in the way of Australians participating and excelling in STEM education
A government that uses science to inform and underpin its decisions will lead Australia to a brighter future.
A government that directly invests in discovery-led, basic research will unlock the solutions of the future.
A government that fosters and rewards innovation and entrepreneurship will secure Australia’s economic success.
A government that leads from the front, inspiring the private sector to invest in science and technology, will help Australia achieve a stable and prosperous future.
We, the nation’s science and technology leaders, will work hard to ensure that the health, wealth and wellbeing of all Australians are secured for many generations to come.
Working in the solutions sector, the thousands of STEM professionals in Australia will work to tackle the great challenges facing the world, and solve them with science.
In striving towards this bold vision, we ask for the support of Australians, Australian governments and candidates in future federal elections.
________________________________
The Science & Technology Australia membership<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/IWZ2Cvl0PoCvDZKKizFqbb?domain=scienceandtechnologyaustralia.us9.list-manage.com> supports this statement, including the following organisations:
[https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/E_AFCwVLQmioDn99iKdIY8?domain=gallery.mailchimp.com]

[https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/7Pu9CxnMRvtZ2jwwIRSUha?domain=gallery.mailchimp.com]

——————————————————————————————
Professor Stuart Wyithe | Head, School of Physics
Deputy Director, ARC Centre of Excellence for All-Sky Astrophysics in 3D

Shirley Els | Executive Assistant – Head, School of Physics
T: +61 3 8344 5453   E: shirley.els at unimelb.edu.au<mailto:shirley.els at unimelb.edu.au>

Faculty of Science
Room 104, David Caro Building (192)
The University of Melbourne, Victoria 3010 Australia
T: +61 3 8344 5420 and +61 3 8344 5083
F: +61 3 9347 4783
E: swyithe at unimelb.edu.au<mailto:swyithe at unimelb.edu.au>
W: science.unimelb.edu.au<http://unimelb.edu.au/>

I acknowledge the Traditional Owners of the land on which I work, and pay my respects to the Elders, past and present

[signature_1776861952]
This email and any attachments may contain personal information or information that is otherwise confidential or the subject of copyright. Any use, disclosure or copying of any part of it is prohibited. The University does not warrant that this email or any attachments are free from viruses or defects. Please check any attachments for viruses and defects before opening them. If this email is received in error please delete it and notify us by return email.