[ASA] FW: National STEM survey results and a science themed National Press Club Address

Stuart Wyithe swyithe at unimelb.edu.au
Wed Mar 14 09:54:21 AEDT 2018

Dear ASA,

Please find the latest news letter from STA attached.

Regards,

Stuart

[https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/ms1BCE8kz9tk1ZxRTNhdIE?domain=gallery.mailchimp.com]Science & Technology Australia - March Newsletter

View this email in your browser<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/g67fCGvmB5i2Wz4ju7AviP?domain=mailchi.mp>

[https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/ig7vCJyp0qhgpjw0szcD7b?domain=gallery.mailchimp.com]

[https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/PBMmCK1qJZtZ8RW3iANEbQ?domain=gallery.mailchimp.com]

2017 Scientists Remuneration Survey Results
A national survey of STEM professionals was conducted by Professionals Australia and Science & Technology Australia (STA) late last year, and the results are in - pay has improved but job security is a continuing issue for scientists and technologists.

Released on International Women's Day (8 March), the annual Professional Scientists Remuneration Survey highlighted that women in science do not have the same opportunities for promotion or seniority as their male peers with similar qualifications and experience. It was also found that half of all women reported experiencing gender discrimination, compared to 5% of men.

The full report is available to STA members by request. Click below to read more.

Read more<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/IscoCL7rK8tlNz9EFjzhlE?domain=scienceandtechnologyaustralia.us9.list-manage.com>

News from Science & Technology Australia

[https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/LCi7CMwvLQTvxn3EI15gbb?domain=gallery.mailchimp.com]<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/YRjnCNLwM9iwVg3vuzjPKZ?domain=scienceandtechnologyaustralia.us9.list-manage.com>

STA President delivers NPC Address
Professor Emma Johnston, President of STA, has outlined her vision for the future of the STEM sector...
Read more<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/BtYgCOMxNytE5BxqIjOUqP?domain=scienceandtechnologyaustralia.us9.list-manage.com>

[https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/Q2B8CP7yOZtJvLXysmEb-p?domain=gallery.mailchimp.com]<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/6jlwCQnzP0tJBwPzsOXTEL?domain=scienceandtechnologyaustralia.us9.list-manage.com>

Deep concerns for students’ maths and science performance
STA has warned that Australia’s future is at risk as performance declines amongst Australian maths and science students...
Learn more<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/JKJ2CROAQotyn3W7hEcEHn?domain=scienceandtechnologyaustralia.us9.list-manage.com>

[https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/2uGkCVAGXPtz0pyOCNIlcY?domain=gallery.mailchimp.com]<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/p_hfCWLJY7iNznqlCJ_vKv?domain=scienceandtechnologyaustralia.us9.list-manage.com>

SAVE THE DATE
We have locked in 2018 dates for Science meets Policymakers in August and Science meets Business in October...
Read more<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/74HGCXLKZoikBLKpTX2XDP?domain=scienceandtechnologyaustralia.us9.list-manage.com>

[https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/DixkCYWL1vijkylGUzcgK1?domain=gallery.mailchimp.com]<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/0DsgCZYM2VFXPWgOFEItpk?domain=scienceandtechnologyaustralia.us9.list-manage.com>

STA submission: Higher Education Support Legislation Amendment Bill 2018
STA has highlighted concerns around how proposed changes to this legislation may have an impact on our researchers...
Read more<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/lX4OC1WZXriLnQGvI3g5o9?domain=scienceandtechnologyaustralia.us9.list-manage.com>

[https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/4cbZC2xZYvC0KD3niOlexq?domain=gallery.mailchimp.com]<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/bIZJC3Q8Z2FW7rKLh6ongd?domain=scienceandtechnologyaustralia.us9.list-manage.com>

International Day of Women and Girls in Science
Minister for Innovation and Jobs, Senator Michaelia Cash, and Assistant Minister for Science, Senator Zed Seselja, met with four of our Superstars of STEM...
Read more<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/mqmaC4QZ1RFRYw5LtJtZlz?domain=scienceandtechnologyaustralia.us9.list-manage.com>

[https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/4aAjC5QZ29Fwgr9quD6MAe?domain=gallery.mailchimp.com]<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/URAYC6X13RtZV4mQiGxUhl?domain=scienceandtechnologyaustralia.us9.list-manage.com>

#AusInnovates highlight: Genetic bandaid for muscle wasting disease
Eteplirsen® offers new hope for sufferers of Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy (DMD)...
R<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/BuFSC71ZgLtnEBN3uz4iqp?domain=scienceandtechnologyaustralia.us9.list-manage.com>ead more<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/ukGaC81Zj6tBOyqnsL5YXY?domain=scienceandtechnologyaustralia.us9.list-manage.com>

AWARDS SEASON

This month, there are a variety of Awards open for nominations to celebrate Australia's outstanding STEM professionals.

The awards span a range of career stages and disciplines, and we are encouraging STA members to nominate non-traditional recipients of national awards - such as female, indigenous, LGBT+ and culturally-diverse researchers.

 - Prime Minister's Prizes for Science<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/nQsJC91ZkQtrRwqoTzjFla?domain=scienceandtechnologyaustralia.us9.list-manage.com>, nominations close 26 March
 - Eureka Prizes<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/BeHIC0YZWVFYJAB6F7TrtW?domain=scienceandtechnologyaustralia.us9.list-manage.com>, entries close 4 May
 - Australian Academy of Science Honorifics<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/Wf6fCgZowLH4PzyVTqEpCu?domain=scienceandtechnologyaustralia.us9.list-manage.com>, nominations close 1 May
 - Young Tall Poppy Science Awards<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/xss3CjZrzqHZlxmpiDCE5L?domain=scienceandtechnologyaustralia.us9.list-manage.com>, nominations close 9 April
 - Academy of Technology and Engineering's Batterham Medal<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/ctQaCk8vAZtoYJBmIWY89K?domain=scienceandtechnologyaustralia.us9.list-manage.com> and the ICM Agrifood Awards<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/sJjvClxwB5C6OYEgI6s3Vy?domain=scienceandtechnologyaustralia.us9.list-manage.com>, nominations close 13 April

INAUGURAL PRESIDENT AND CEO FORUM

STA member organisations will have recently received an invitation to our inaugural President and CEO Forum<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/dCRHCmOxDQtk1QlETJrl68?domain=scienceandtechnologyaustralia.us9.list-manage.com>. To be held in Canberra on 1 May, this event will bring together the senior leadership of our member organisations to shape a brighter and better future for all Australians. This exclusive opportunity will aim to put science and technology front and centre of the federal political agenda.
For information, contact info at sta.org.au<mailto:info at sta.org.au?subject=STA's%20President%20and%20CEO%20Forum>.

Science meets Parliament 2018 - Thank You

Science & Technology Australia extends a sincere thank you to all of our the speakers, panelists, delegates, volunteers, staff, sponsors and partners who were involved in this year's event. We were proud to support professional development and meaningful new connections for so many STEM professionals: we couldn't have done it without everybody who contributed to making the event a reality.

Thanks to our major supporter, the Department of Industry, Innovation and Science.

[https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/loyPCnxyErCrlRDMTxWG2q?domain=gallery.mailchimp.com]

Special acknowledgement also to our other generous sponsors and partners:

[https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/G12BCoVzGQi6lyYxIDc6K8?domain=gallery.mailchimp.com]

Science & Technology Australia represents thousands of STEM professionals across the country. Find out how we can support you!

[https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/bobHCp8AJQtpQRoXIlyRty?domain=gallery.mailchimp.com]<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/YsPOCq7BKYtJLMNmsGZT4C?domain=scienceandtechnologyaustralia.us9.list-manage.com>

ABOUT US<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/3ycfCr8DLRt4wBZLTnfJr2?domain=scienceandtechnologyaustralia.us9.list-manage.com>

WHAT WE DO<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/DAfqCvl0PoCrOk8MTRmbFi?domain=scienceandtechnologyaustralia.us9.list-manage.com>

EVENTS<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/S5R1CwVLQmig0wxYs6qDgp?domain=scienceandtechnologyaustralia.us9.list-manage.com>

OUR MEMBERS<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/3rDgCxnMRvtPmWvrUzOYtc?domain=scienceandtechnologyaustralia.us9.list-manage.com>

CONTACT<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/w7VBCyoNVrcA6Bo9s1PypF?domain=scienceandtechnologyaustralia.us9.list-manage.com>

[https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/C-4LCzvOWKiO8jqJu0jnlv?domain=gallery.mailchimp.com]<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/q_XOCANZvPiGrDO7I3vMd0?domain=scienceandtechnologyaustralia.us9.list-manage.com>

[https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/GVpcCBNZwLizPLKECDc8zj?domain=cdn-images.mailchimp.com]<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/TgcmCD1jy9tDj8AgiWyMs9V?domain=scienceandtechnologyaustralia.us9.list-manage.com>

[https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/7FLACE8kz9tk1ZxRTNNz3Dm?domain=cdn-images.mailchimp.com]<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/MwFuCGvmB5i2Wz4juK7D07D?domain=scienceandtechnologyaustralia.us9.list-manage.com>

[https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/ms6lCJyp0qhgpjw0sVzviuB?domain=cdn-images.mailchimp.com]<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/LW3vCK1qJZtZ8RW3iMAsCkS?domain=scienceandtechnologyaustralia.us9.list-manage.com>

Our mailing address is:
Science & Technology Australia
PO Box 259, Canberra City
Canberra, Act 2600