[ASA] Multi-messenger astronomy workshop @ Swinburne on 9 Nov 2017

Yeshe Fenner yeshefenner at swin.edu.au
Thu Oct 19 16:08:51 AEDT 2017

Dear ASA members,

This week marked a new era in multi-messenger astronomy, with the announcement <https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/rNKaBYfl45VGUW?domain=ozgrav.org> of the first ever detection of colliding neutron stars that were observed through their gravitational waves and in EM radiation across the spectrum, including at several Australian facilities.

The ARC Centre of Excellence for Gravitational Wave Discovery (OzGrav) is pleased to announce that we are holding a multi-messenger astronomy mini-workshop on Thursday 9th Nov 2017, where we will discuss this landmark result and the promising future for this field.

We are very keen to include as wide as possible participation in this workshop from non-OzGrav Australian astronomers to maximise our contribution to the follow-up of future merger events. Note that follow-up observations could involve observations of putative host galaxies, and their interpretation, not just imaging of kilonovae.

Details: