[ASA] FAAbExo 2017 - Franco-Australian Astrobiology and Exoplanet School and Workshop - Announcement

Sarah McIntyre sarah.mcIntyre at anu.edu.au
Wed Oct 11 14:57:02 AEDT 2017

Dear Colleagues,

It is our great pleasure to announce that the Australian National University (ANU)  in collaboration with the Paris Sciences et Lettres (PSL) Research University will host the Franco-Australian Astrobiology and Exoplanet School and Workshop on December 16 - 20, 2017, at the Australian National University.

Over the past twenty years, astronomers have observed more than 3,000 extrasolar planets, consequently revealing the diversity of planets that exist in the universe. The ever-increasing number of detections continues to drive exoplanet research forward and we are currently on the cusp of a technological revolution where near-future space and ground-based observatories will allow an unprecedented opportunity to further explore and characterise smaller, potentially habitable exoplanets for signs of life.

The key questions to answer are:

  *   Do protoplanetary disks include compositional trends that imprint on future planets?
  *   What should future observations of Solar System bodies focus on?
  *   Where should we search for nearby habitable Earth-like planets?
  *   How can the science of the remote detection of biosignatures be advanced?
  *   What can our knowledge of life on Earth tell us about life elsewhere in the universe?

The school and workshop, jointly sponsored by ANU and PSL, will bring leading experts from France, Australia and around the world to review these topics and identify new avenues for answering these questions. The outcomes of this workshop will inform future collaborative projects between Australia and France in these fields.

Key Dates:
10 October: Website and Registration opens
5 November: Abstract submission closes
14 November: Early Bird Registration closes
27 November: Program release
10 December: Registration closes
16 - 17 December: Astrobiology & Exoplanet School
18 - 20 December: Astrobiology & Exoplanet Workshop

Please register and submit your abstracts, and find more relevant information at http://faabexo.anu.edu.au<http://faabexo.anu.edu.au/>

For general enquiries, please contact the LOC on: FAAbExo-loc at mso.anu.edu.au

Looking forward to seeing you all in Canberra in December.

Sarah McIntyre (chair of the LOC), on behalf of the LOC.