[ASA] Second Announcement: .Astronomy 9, Cape Town, 14-17 Nov 2017

Arna Karick arnakarick at gmail.com
Wed Jun 28 10:55:18 AEST 2017

.Astronomy 9
Cape Town, South Africa
14-17 November 2017
-----------------------------------

Dear ASA members,

We are very excited to be hosting the ninth .Astronomy (pronounced "dot Astronomy") conference in Cape Town from the 14-17 November 2017.

Astronomy is driven forward by new technology, and today, software is developing more rapidly than ever before. .Astronomy explores the questions on  how new technologies can help astronomical research, education, and outreach. The event will include a series of talks, multiple unconference sessions, and a full day working on interesting, useful, innovative projects. Much of the content will be driven by the conference participants in a dynamic environment to maximize sharing, learning, and producing. In addition, we will also have a Day Zero – tech skills training day, to introduce participants to the .Astronomy format and offer tutorials on the latest tools. Links to blog posts and hack projects from previous .Astronomy conferences can be found on Twitter: @dotastronomy <http://twitter.com/dotastronomy> #dotastro

Note that Astroinformatics 2017 (http://www.astroinformatics2017.ska.ac.za <http://www.astroinformatics2017.ska.ac.za/>) will run the week before –– Why not attend both? ;)

Please see the website for more information about the program and invited speakers: http://dotastronomy9.saao.ac.za/ <http://dotastronomy9.saao.ac.za/>.  In addition, the pre-registration form is available as well and will be open until 1 July.  The form is available at https://tinyurl.com/dotastro9 <https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdmxJ2Q0RMN-IuLJTjxNPZE6QHRKYIXDScWHzYBz2TAzm9KtQ/viewform?c=0&w=1>.

The conference will be limited to ~60 participants, and as such, we ask each participant to provide the reason why they want to attend and what they might contribute. We highly encourage people from traditionally underrepresented groups in astronomy to apply. If you have any questions, please email Dr. Steve Crawford at: crawford at saao.ac.za <mailto:crawford at saao.ac.za>. The event will be hosted at the South African Astronomical Observatory (SAAO) jointly with the IAU Office of Astronomy for Development. There will be some funding available to support participation especially for students and researchers from developing countries.

We hope that you will be able to join us in Cape Town from 14-17 November 2017 for .Astronomy 9!

Kind regards,
Arna  –  on behalf of Dr. Steve Crawford (SALT Science Data Manager) and the .Astronomy Organising Committee

Dr. Arna Karick
Astronomy & Tech | Scientific Computing | Research & Data Strategy
Often found at One Roof – Southbank
Email: arnakarick at gmail.com
Twitter: @drarnakarick <http://twitter.com/drarnakarick>
Websites: www.arnakarick.com <http://www.arnakarick.com/> | techsavvyastronomer.io <http://techsavvyastronomer.io/>