[ASA] Future use of the ANU 2.3-metre telescope

Matthew Colless matthew.colless at anu.edu.au
Sat Oct 29 12:26:38 AEDT 2016

Dear users of the ANU 2.3-metre telescope,

I want to foreshadow that the _next_ call for proposals for the ANU 2.3m telescope (not the current one for Quarter 2017A, but the subsequent one for Quarter 2017B) is expected to introduce a user-pays requirement for the facility that will apply to _all_ users (both ANU and external).

The details of the user-pays arrangement are still being developed, but it is likely that the cost of a 2.3m night will ramp up slowly to the actual cost over a few quarters.

The TAC will be discussing the implementation of this new regime at their upcoming meeting in early December. If you would like to provide your thoughts and suggestions on the implementation of a user-pays arrangement for the 2.3m, please send an email to the Chair of the TAC, Paul Francis <Paul.Francis at anu.edu.au<mailto:Paul.Francis at anu.edu.au>> by 30 November.

Once a draft policy has been developed, I intend to share it with users in order to get further feedback.

Regards, Matthew Colless.

Professor Matthew Colless <matthew.colless at anu.edu.au<mailto:matthew.colless at anu.edu.au>>
Director, Research School of Astronomy & Astrophysics
The Australian National University, Canberra, ACT, Australia
Work: +61-2-6125-0266 Mobile:+61-431-898-345