[ASA] Join us for .Astronomy 7 in Sydney

Amanda Bauer amanda.bauer at aao.gov.au
Wed May 20 16:00:49 AEST 2015

We’re happy to announce that .Astronomy 7 will be held in Sydney,
Australia November 3-6th 2015. This marks the first ever .Astronomy held
in the Southern Hemisphere, which is a great opportunity for our
community!  Details are available at http://dotastronomy.com/seven/

The event will include a series of talks, multiple unconference
sessions, and a full day hacking on awesome, innovative projects. For
the first time, we will also offer an optional .Astronomy Day 0 – an
opportunity for people to hear about previous Hack Day projects and the
tools most frequently used to make them.

Using your sign-up forms (link below), we will bring together an
international group of people with a mix of skills, expertise, and
backgrounds. We aim to host approximately 50 attendees for a
three-ish-day conference all about astronomy online!

The sign up form asks what you would like to bring to .Astronomy and
talk about, but also what you’d like hear from others. So feel free to
nominate anyone and anything you think is interesting and useful in this
part of the form. We’d like to particularly encourage women and
minorities to sign up.

The sign-up form is available at http://tinyurl.com/dotastro7

To read about what occurs during .Astronomy and the Hack Days, see the
posts here: http://dotastronomy.com/

Three of my personal favorite hacks include
1) D3PO - Interactive plotting for astronomers: http://d3po.org/
2) AAS Job Register Visualized -
http://www.physics.usyd.edu.au/~vmoss/jobvis/
3) Pluto, the Previous Planet - A music video (but I'm slightly biased):
http://youpiter.org/pluto/

Please email myself or any of the LOC if you have any questions. Thank you!

Amanda Bauer
James Allen
Arna Karick
Vanessa Moss