[ASA] Decadal Plan: July update

Stuart Wyithe swyithe at unimelb.edu.au
Tue Jul 29 10:34:11 AEST 2014

Dear colleagues,

I would like to thank all those who participated in the successful decadal planning session at last weeks Astronomical Society of Australia meeting. I would particularly like to acknowledge the extensive thought and effort from the working groups and their executives that went into generating the detailed draft reports.

Updates:

1) Following last weeks meeting, the working groups will now finalise their reports, which will be submitted to the NCA by the 30th August. Please contact the working groups to provide additional feedback well in advance of that date. I would like to reiterate that the working group reports are the vehicle for input into the Decadal Plan.  Details for the working group contacts and copies of the draft reports are available at

australianastronomydecadalplan.org<http://australianastronomydecadalplan.org/home/2014-asa-decadal-plan-session-2/>

2) High quality images featuring Australian astronomers, results and infrastructure are an important ingredient in the Decadal Plan. Members of the community are invited to provide high resolution images (including credit) for possible use in the Decadal Plan. Images should be forwarded to Amanda Bauer (Amanda.Bauer at aao.gov.au<mailto:Amanda.Bauer at aao.gov.au>) by the end of August.

3) In addition to images, the Decadal Plan will feature several “box stories”. Suggestions for appropriate topics that might be used as box stories (and contact person) are welcome, and should be forwarded to Stuart Wyithe (swyithe at unimelb.edu.au<mailto:swyithe at unimelb.edu.au>).

During September and October the Editorial Board will be drafting the Decadal Plan.  I would like to advise the community of the updated membership of the Editorial Board, which will consist of

Stuart Wyithe (Chair)
Martin Asplund
Douglas Bock
Lisa Kewley
Lister Staveley-Smith

The draft Decadal Plan produced by the Editorial Board will then be reviewed by the NCA at their meeting in December, following which an exposure draft will be released to the community.

Best regards,

Stuart

====================================
Professor Stuart Wyithe