[ASA] Decadal Plan: ISFWG 2.1 - White Papers and final input requested

Karl Glazebrook kglazebrook at swin.edu.au
Mon May 12 15:52:08 AEST 2014

Dear ASA members,

The International Scale Facilities WG 2.1 would like to thank the community for the input collected at the Town Halls, and draws the attention of the community to the White Paper's submitted at:

https://sites.google.com/site/australiandecadalplanwg21/white-papers

Considering the input we received so far, the WG would now like to solicit (by email) FURTHER INPUT on the 8m-class telescope issue in particular, which has been identified as a key topic in the town halls and the major uncertainty before our WG. It is clear that 8m telescopes are regarded as 'workhorse facilities' that are vitally needed but if the ESO option does not go ahead it is not clear what alternatives should be considered. Specifically our WG would like to invite final input on the question:

"What alternatives to ESO for our 8m-class telescope access should be pursued?"

Possible options that have been suggested are:

1) Purchase Keck, Subaru and/or Magellan time and hold out for a future partnership option. It is not clear if such a partnership opportunity would become available.

2) Re-engage with Gemini Observatory. The clock is ticking on that one.

3) Lead a partnership to build a new telescope. (e..g. a wide-field spectroscopic telescope  in Chile as proposed by the Driver et al. White Paper). Note this would take at least 7-10 years to build.

4) Increase our share of GMT ('doubling up GMT' has been mentioned a few times in Town Halls), which has the advantage of bringing GMT nearer to completion and leveraging previous investment.

5) Engaging with one of the observatories by building instrumentation in return for time.

- We'd also like to know if you consider  any of these options compelling enough to be preferable to ESO membership.

Note options #3 and #4 would not result in the diverse set of 8m instruments the community needs. However if the facility was compelling then time could likely be traded.

Note more discussion of some of these options can be found in the position paper:
http://tinyurl.com/kp6nqff

It is not clear yet how this topic will be framed in the context of the Decadal plan, certainly we will be focusing on capabilities rather than naming specific facilities, right now we are still  in the input collecting phase.

Please send your input on these options to myself (kglazebrook at swin.edu.au) with
Subject: 8-m telescope options

It would be helpful if this email could also be distributed to non-ASA members.

sincerely,

Karl Glazebrook, Chair ISFWG 2.1

Karl Glazebrook
Director & Distinguished Professor
Centre for Astrophysics & Supercomputing, Swinburne University of Technology
Contact: +61-3-9214-4384  kglazebrook at swin.edu.au
astronomy.swin.edu.au/karl galacticturmoil.org @karlglazebrook