[ASA] Save the Date! 28-29 August 2014 - ASA WiA 2014 Workshop

Céline d'Orgeville celine.dorgeville at anu.edu.au
Tue Mar 25 13:08:49 AEDT 2014

We Are All Made of Stars: Establishing Equity and Diversity within Australian Astronomy

The 2014 Astronomical Society of Australia Women in Astronomy Workshop

28-29 August, 2014, University House, Australian National University, Canberra, Australia

In order to Establish Equity and Diversity within Australian Astronomy, we need the entire community to engage in the process. In this spirit, the 2014 Workshop aims to attract attendees representing the breadth of Australian Astronomy (Men - this means you too!), and is targeting decision makers within and outside of Astronomy.

This year's Workshop, in addition to its normal focus on gender diversity, will also explore issues surrounding other areas of diversity including LGBTIQ and cultural background.  The workshop will include talks by experts, professional training sessions, and breakout sessions that explore real life situations. The event will finish with a panel discussion of how to bring about meaningful change, moderated by Elizabeth Broderick, the Australian Sex Discrimination Commissioner, which will include CSIRO CEO Megan Clarke,  PM Science Prize Winner Terry Speed (WEHI), and ARC CEO Aidan Byrne.

The workshop will be free to all participants, but venue size is limited. We anticipate that there may be limited travel support for a small number of participants.

We encourage you to register your interest at this link.

Please do not hesitate to contact: Céline d'Orgeville <celine.dorgeville at anu.edu.au> or Brian Schmidt <brian.schmidt at anu.edu.au> for more information on this workshop.