[ASA] Faculty Positions: Victoria University of Wellington

Melanie Johnston-Hollitt Melanie.Johnston-Hollitt at vuw.ac.nz
Fri Dec 20 14:35:52 AEDT 2013

Dear Colleagues,

Apologies to those of you that receive this more than once but could you please pass this on to any suitable candidates?

Cheers,
Melanie

Faculty Position in Astrophysics: Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand
We are offering 1-2 permanent faculty positions in Astrophysics at Victoria University of Wellington at the Lecturer/Senior Lecturer level.

In particular, we invite applications from ambitious early-to-mid-career physicists who specialize in astrophysics and would like to work in a dynamic multi-disciplinary School at New Zealand’s most research-intensive university. The successful candidate should have an excellent track record in research and teaching relative to career opportunity and needs to demonstrate how he/she will enhance or complement our current strengths in low-frequency radio astronomy, multi-wavelength observations of galaxy clusters, cosmic magnetism, and astronomical image processing.

VUW is a member of the Murchison Widefield Array consortium, is leading the science data pipeline design for the Square Kilometre Array, and staff and postdoctoral fellows hold prominent positions in several next-generation astronomical survey projects. This is an exciting opportunity to join New Zealand’s most rapidly growing astrophysics group, work with world-class telescopes and enjoy the benefits of living in Wellington – one of the most liveable cities in the world. Further details of our research activities in astrophysics can be found at http://www.victoria.ac.nz/scps/research/research-groups/astronomy-astrophysics  .

Note: there are two positions being advertised with two slightly different selection committees. The first is a dedicated astrophysics position, the second is an open search for a candidate from geophysics, condensed matter physics or astrophysics. We will therefore appoint at least 1 and up to 2 astrophysicists. Anyone interested in applying is strongly encouraged to apply for both positions:

http://jobregister.aas.org/job_view?JobID=46678
http://jobregister.aas.org/job_view?JobID=46772

Applications close on January 10th (New Zealand time).

Questions can be directed to Dr Melanie Johnston-Hollitt (contact details below), note that the University if now formerly closed for the Christmas break so responses might take a couple of days.

Dr Melanie Johnston-Hollitt
SKA Organisation Ltd. Board of Directors (New Zealand scientific representative)
Vice Chair, Murchison Widefield Array Board
Leader, Radio Astronomy
School of Chemical & Physical Sciences
Victoria University of Wellington
PO Box 600