[ASA] New postdoc positions at ICRAR/UWA

Chris Power chris.power at uwa.edu.au
Fri Dec 20 15:21:20 AEDT 2013

Hi,

I'd like to draw your attention to a couple of new ARC DP-funded postdoctoral positions at the International Centre for Radio Astronomy Research at the University of Western Australia in Perth.

The first is in computational astrophysics. We seek a highly motivated scientist to investigate the potential of satellite galaxies around the Milky Way and Andromeda as probes of dark matter and cosmology. Recent observations indicate that the satellite populations orbit their host galaxies in narrow planes, appearing to be at odds with our understanding of how galaxies form in the favoured Cold Dark Matter (CDM) model. The successful applicant will use state-of-the-art supercomputer simulations, innovative statistical analysis and the latest observational data to understand the implications of these observations for the CDM (or alternative, e.g. WDM) model and to establish their power to discriminate between our models for dark matter and cosmology.

More information (including a detailed position description and link to the online application portal) can be found at:
http://external.jobs.uwa.edu.au/cw/en/job/492744/research-associate-ref-492744-computational-astrophysics

Interested candidates should get in touch with Chris Power (chris.power at icrar.org<mailto:chris.power at icrar.org>).

The second is in observational cosmology. We seek a highly motivated scientist to join our growing multi-wavelength team at ICRAR. The successful candidate will be joining the internationally renowned GAMA project, which involves 80 scientists around the globe (8 at ICRAR alone, including Aaron Robotham and Simon Driver). The project will involve developing new techniques to detect low mass galaxies in low mass halos- both regimes that the GAMA data alone can probe robustly. As such, both the data and the science will be novel and should lead to exceptionally high impact work. There will also be opportunities to link up with complementary work being undertaken by the ICRAR simulations group led by Chris Power.

More information (including a detailed position description and link to the online application portal) can be found at:
http://external.jobs.uwa.edu.au/cw/en/job/492745/research-associate-ref-492745-observational-astrophysics

Interested candidates should get in touch with Aaron Robotham (aaron.robotham at uwa.edu.au<mailto:aaron.robotham at uwa.edu.au>).

The application deadline for both positions is January 31st 2014.

Cheers,

Chris

Dr. Chris Power, Research Associate Professor

International Centre for Radio Astronomy Research,
University of Western Australia,
35 Stirling Highway, Crawley, Western Australia 6009, Australia

E-mail: chris.power at icrar.org | Tel: +61 8 6488 7630 | Fax: +61 8 6488 7755