[ASA] Second announcement: "Evolutionary paths in Galaxy Morphology - a Galaxy Zoo conference" (22-26 September 2013)

John O'Byrne john.obyrne at sydney.edu.au
Tue Jun 11 09:48:03 AEST 2013

Announcement subject: Second announcement of "Evolutionary paths in Galaxy Morphology - a Galaxy Zoo conference" (22-26 September 2013)

Announcement text:

Dear Colleagues,

This is the second announcement for the meeting, "Evolutionary paths in Galaxy Morphology - a Galaxy Zoo conference".    This is a reminder that Early Registration and Abstracts Submission for talks will be closing on July 15th.   The confirmed list of invited speakers and a rough outline of our program can be found on our website at:
<http://www.atnf.csiro.au/research/conferences/2013/gzo/program.html>

Please register soon to ensure your place and be considered for a talk.

Confirmed invited speakers include:  Carol Christian, Matthew Colless, Scott Croom, Darren Croton, Roger Davies, Karl Glazebrook, Andrew Hopkins, Chris Lintott, Jen Lotz, Karen Masters, Kevin Schawinski, Arfon Smith & Jacqueline van Gorkom

Where?    Powerhouse Museum, Sydney
When?     22 - 26 September, 2013

How do galaxies form and evolve? What shapes galaxies? What are the roles of supermassive black holes and bars in galaxy evolution? Nature and nurture both play important roles in galaxy evolution and the aims of this meeting are to: (i) further develop our understanding of the many underlying physical processes that are responsible for shaping the galaxies that we observe in the Universe around us; and (ii) showcase the high impact scientific contributions by Galaxy Zoo to the study of galaxy evolution. To catch the galaxies in the act of transformation, huge samples of galaxies are needed before we can identify one that is in the stage of transformation, especially if these transformation processes occur relatively quickly. A direct consequence of very large surveys is the emergence of "big data" science which severely challenges traditional data processing techniques. Hence, there exists a great need to develop a variety of techniques to fully maximise the scientific return.

Whether you're already working with Galaxy Zoo data, curious about how it might inform your science, or if you just want to spend a few days thinking about galaxy evolution, we hope you'll join us. With more large surveys coming from next generation facilities such as LSST and ASKAP, this meeting will also act as a springboard for Galaxy Zoo-like projects using very large datasets.

More details about this event can be found from this website: bit.ly/gzconference

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best regards,
Ivy Wong (on behalf of the organising committees)

    Dr O. Ivy Wong
    Super Science Fellow @ CSIRO Astronomy and Space Science
    Cnr Vimiera & Pembroke Roads, Marsfield, NSW 2122, Australia
    Phone: +61-2-9372-4148
    Email: ivy.wong at csiro.au
    Web: http://www.atnf.csiro.au/people/Ivy.Wong